It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which stones (stone type) require a slurry?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:23 am 

I've seen mention of creating a slurry before sharpening. Which type stones require this? Is the slurry part of the stone or is it part of the "slurry stone" I've seen advertised. The only bench stones I've used recently requiring water are Shapton glass. I've never heard mention of creating a slurry on them or was there any mention of it in any paper work or directions. I've also seen where the slurry helps in the polish of an edge. Is that referring to the bevel or the edge apex or both? Any info is appreciated.

Jack

Post subject: Re: Which stones (stone type) require a slurry?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:00 am 

A slurry isn't required as far as I am aware with any waterstone. It will happen naturally as the stone wears during sharpening and the loose particles that come from the stone are the slurry or mud as some call it. Some just like to have a slurry on the stone before sharpening so it doesn't have to build up. The nagura stone (or slurry stone) will accelerate the process by wearing the top of the waterstone to create the slurry and I think it is mainly used on harder stones that are slow to build up a slurry. The same thing can be accomplished with a diamond flattening plate if you have one.

The Shapton stones are very hard and long wearing from what I understand, so I don't think they would build up much slurry. You probably could work one up if you really wanted to with a flattening plate, but there are probably much better stones for that.

As to what it polishes, it pretty much helps to polish any part that comes in contact with the stone. I guess you could think of it as wet sanding the metal. If the slurry passes between the blade and the stone, it's polishing the surface immediately above it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:12 am 

I've got Glass Shaptons for an EP Apex and I haven't noticed much of a slurry at all with them. I'm wiping off the knife and table and spraying off the stones frequently as I go, so nothing much accumulates anyway. My understanding for the Glass Shaptons is that any slurry that does develop contains metal shavings (swarf) and will lead to scratches on the bevel. Not sure if that applies to Shapton Pros as well. If I'm incorrect on this, someone please correct me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 pm 
Forum Moderator

DefMunky wrote:A slurry isn't required as far as I am aware with any waterstone. It will happen naturally as the stone wears during sharpening and the loose particles that come from the stone are the slurry or mud as some call it. Some just like to have a slurry on the stone before sharpening so it doesn't have to build up. The nagura stone (or slurry stone) will accelerate the process by wearing the top of the waterstone to create the slurry and I think it is mainly used on harder stones that are slow to build up a slurry. The same thing can be accomplished with a diamond flattening plate if you have one.

The Shapton stones are very hard and long wearing from what I understand, so I don't think they would build up much slurry. You probably could work one up if you really wanted to with a flattening plate, but there are probably much better stones for that.

As to what it polishes, it pretty much helps to polish any part that comes in contact with the stone. I guess you could think of it as wet sanding the metal. If the slurry passes between the blade and the stone, it's polishing the surface immediately above it.

Well stated sir!

:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

delphidoc wrote:I've got Glass Shaptons for an EP Apex and I haven't noticed much of a slurry at all with them. I'm wiping off the knife and table and spraying off the stones frequently as I go, so nothing much accumulates anyway. My understanding for the Glass Shaptons is that any slurry that does develop contains metal shavings (swarf) and will lead to scratches on the bevel. Not sure if that applies to Shapton Pros as well. If I'm incorrect on this, someone please correct me.

All slurry contains some metal schwarf...some just more (bigger or smaller) than others - when doing the mirror thingy - spray stones clean each pass, you do not want the metal particles scratching the mirror.

:)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]