It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark. Thanks for your quick reply.

About a year ago, I purchased a Shapton Pro 1000 grit stone as the 'first' stone in my "post-grinding" sharpening progression (Shapton Pro 1000,5000,8000. I see in your a blog post that the stone is optimized to cut stainless, not high carbon tool steel (A2) like the 1500.

In my observation while sharpening plane blades, chisels etc that it is harder to develop "black slurry" on the 1000 stone than the 5000 stone. One some level it also doesn't 'feel' like it's cutting as fast as I would expect. I know that stainess steel has very unique properties, especially as it relates to toughness vs hardness, so I wonder if I made a bad choice with the 1000 stone as a "first" honing stone for tool steel, and that the pro 1500 (for high carbon steel) would cut faster.

I recognize that it is difficult to gauge how fast I'm actually cutting, and that the 'cuttings' could even not appear "as black" due to their size etc, so I put this question to you: Should I buy your Shapton pro 1500, and reserve my pro 1000 for Stainess kitchen knives? Practically speaking, is there a difference when sharpening tool steel?

Thank you in advance.
-Karl

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Shapton question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

In general I'm not a big fan of trying to custom match stones with different steels in knives or other tools. It's true that some stones work better on some steels compared to others but the differences are minor and it's not worth the money for home users to have a big pile of stones to match with different knives. If you get good results from your set up stick with it. If you think one of the stones you have stinks replace that stone. I like the shapton glass 1k and use it frequently so in my opinion you should stick with it.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Shapton question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:58 pm 

It should do fine with tool steels and stainless. Stainless has more hard Chromium carbides which means its going to grind slower but that's the trade off of a harder or more wear resistant steel.

The shapton pro 1k is also noted as being a coarse 1k that grinds more like a 800 grit stone. So by going to a different stone such as the 1500 pro your not gaining cutting speed as much as you are simple feedback.

FYI, harder steels tend to produce less swarf while softer steels will make a stone very muddy or full of swarf.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]