It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton pros and Konosuke hh?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I bought the Konosuke HH Sujihike 300mm from your site the other day and I am now looking to buy sharpening stones for it. There is a lot of choice on your site, but I have been looking at the Shapton 1000 and 5000 set of stones. In your opinion are these stones a good choice for this knive? Also, do you think it is necessary to get the Shapton 8000 grit to get this knife really sharp? Your advice would really be appreciated.

Caroline.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Shapton pros and Konosuke hh?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Yes this pro set is a good one for your knives and they're also excellent stones in general to learn to sharpen on.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shpro2pcset1.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:19 pm 

I'm not sure there is a need to go up to 8k unless you just really want to. A 1k can make a blade razor sharp. The 5k would help to clean the edge up quite a bit, the 8k would just be if you wanted that extra bit of mirror polish.

Personally I would probably go with the set Mark linked and add this: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/honebase.html

Plus a couple of strops to go with it. They start at about $9 and go up depending on what you want. Not really necessary, but I love stropping my knives! lol Call it a personal zen-like experience. You could most likely just get away with the 1k and 5k stones by themselves to be honest. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Def - I'd would recommend the stone holder/diamond plate/strop set at $60: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html. This and the Shapton stones and Caroline will be all set :-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:51 pm 

SteveG wrote:Def - I'd would recommend the stone holder/diamond plate/strop set at $60: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/stsetwiunhob.html. This and the Shapton stones and Caroline will be all set :-).

lol, well there ya go!

Balsa and cowhide, two stropping materials I love, a stone flattener, and a holder. Well done Steve! :P ;)

Plus it would save some money and benefit the stone set as well, which is also a bonus!

I'm thinking about a Shapton set myself. I like the idea of not having to soak a stone. If I didn't already have a stone holder and strops I'd be thinking hard about this set as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, you get spoiled using true splash 'n go stones like the Shaptons. Even though it's a short soak when using my Nubatama 1K Ume medium and the Suehiro Rika 5K, I still get impatient :-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:59 pm 

If you want to add a stone to the 1k and 5k I would go with the Pro 320. Sooner or later your going to need a low grit and the Pro 320 is a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:16 am 
Forum Moderator

+1 Jeff.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]