It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nubatama Ume 2000 question
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:16 pm 

Nubatamas seem to get a lot of love in general, but I haven't found much about this particular stone, so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to share any experience they have with it.

We have a set of Zwillig Friodur knives from our wedding many years ago that have been maintained with a DMT F/EF duo and the Henckels steel that came with the set.

I would like to try a waterstone to sharpen them with, and I see the Naniwa 2000 green brick gets much praise in this role in many places. Knowing this and also that the price difference means the Ume probably would not be cost effective in this role, I'd still be interested to hear any firsthand experiences with the Ume.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Nubatama Ume 2000 question
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:16 pm 

I would get the 3 piece set and cut out your DMT stuff....

The 3 piece set comes with...
150 , 1k , 5k and will handle a wide variety of knives and steels , and its a good set to start out with because they aren't throwaway stones , you can build on the set easily.

If your bound and determined to keep using the DMT stuff then I would eyeball a 4k or 5k nubatama , the 2k is very similar in particle size to the EF DMT , although it will produce a very different edge...

Or you could go to a 2k Nubatama to convert the scratch pattern from diamond to waterstone , and then finish up on a 5k or 6k nubatama :) Theres lots of different paths you could take...

Anything finer than 5k or even less and its not really worth it with the European steel IMO...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:07 pm 

Thank you for the feedback. I've worked the bevels on these knives to where I want them over the years, so I can probably skip the 150 for the moment. And a variety of sources agree with you that a fine stone is not very useful for these knives, so I'm kind of looking for a 2k as the finest useful stone for ongoing maintenance to replace the DMTs and maybe add a coarser stone later as I see the need.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:28 am 
Forum Moderator

I like the Ume 2k better than the green brick but there is a good bit of price difference between them. It's not that the Ume 2k is overpriced than that the 2k green brick is a bargain. Watch the video and you can get a good comparison between the two as I do compare the two in the video.

There is going to be a new member of the Ume series - the Speckled Ume 2k. I'll be getting a first one in shortly. Yes it is a cousin to the 1k Speckled Ume stone and sure to be a big hit. You heard it here first! I've been working on getting this one in for over a year!

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:32 am 

There is no better stone or bargain than the Naniwa 2k green brick especially for softer stainless steel period.
A great 3pcs set: Latte 400, Naniwa 2k green brick, 6k Arashiyama

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:00 pm 

Thanks to all for the input. Sounds like the Naniwa is the way to go, though I might wait just a bit to see what happens with the new 2k ume speckled.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]