It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: King Stone 1000/6000
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 pm 

I recently purchased a King 1000/6000 combo stone as my first attempt at putting genuine effort into properly sharpening a knife. The appeal of the stone was, mainly, that it was inexpensive.

I've got some concerns with the stone and I'm hoping someone can enlighten me and let me know if they're valid or if I'm imagining it.

The stone works fairly well on my Tojiro white #2 carbon knives. It cuts decently quickly and leaves a decent polish with the 6K side.

The stone is SLOWWWW on my Shun Classic series knives. I can get them sharp, but the 1K side doesn't cut nearly as quick as I imagine it should when attempting to remove small nicks in the blade.

The stone is almost completely ineffective on my s30v Kershaw Blur. I realize this is extremely hard steel, but I assumed it would do something. It will not sharpen the knife. It took 30 mins just to remove the scratches from the factory "sandpaper" sharpening Job.

Am I doing something wrong or should I look into a faster cutting stone?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: King Stone 1000/6000
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Clayton,

You are correct again! :)

The king is a descent stone but not great but its a good one to start on since it's cheap and you can learn on it without a big investment. It sharpens easy steels like white #2 without any problem, VG 10 slowly but effectively and it's over matched by abrassion resistant steels like CPM154 and S30V. You can add a quick cutting lower grit stone to the King. That should help you out. Try the Shapton Glass 500 or the Beston 500 or the Chosera 400.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:07 am 

Thanks Mark. I'll check into them. Rest assured; I'll be purchasing them from you. The past three purchases I've made through y'all have been flawless transactions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 am 

This is why I always recommend the arashiyama stones, same 1k6k appeal but with a stone that actually has cutting power. Everything right down to the blur would be easily sharpened by them and all be hair popping sharp. Though they are faster I would still takes Marks recommendation for a coarse hone. 1k is not really ideal for a grinding stone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:33 am 
Site Admin

Yes they're really good stones and a big step up from the King. Since he has the kings it makes sense to go with things he can add. The Arashiyama 6K would be a great idea on the high side of the progression.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/handamerican.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:46 am 

chefknivestogo wrote:Hi Clayton,

You are correct again! :)

The king is a descent stone but not great but its a good one to start on since it's cheap and you can learn on it without a big investment. It sharpens easy steels like white #2 without any problem, VG 10 slowly but effectively and it's over matched by abrassion resistant steels like CPM154 and S30V. You can add a quick cutting lower grit stone to the King. That should help you out. Try the Shapton Glass 500 or the Beston 500 or the Chosera 400.

What do you suggest if I want a lower grit stone that will double as a cutter and a leveling device? I assume that would be some sort of diamond plate setup?

What should I look for? I've managed to put a hell of a wave in the surface of the 1K side of the King.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]