It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:06 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stone Storage Questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:14 am 

Trying to figure out my best options for storing my stones. Wondering what you all do? I don't use them every week so not sure that leaving them soaked is my best bet. I like to put them back in their boxes but it takes 3 days or more for them to completely dry before I can box them back up. Right now my collection is small with a Beston 500, Bester 1200, and Rika 5k. Hoping to expand soon though.

If I ever do start sharpening enough, is there a list anywhere with what stones can be soaked all the time and which ones can't?

Post subject: Re: Stone Storage Questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:50 pm 

In your situation I would get a small plastic tub or bucket with a lid and just let'em soak. Put them in a storage/utility room.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:52 pm 

I use the Cambro plastic food pans. I haven't broken one yet so they are pretty tough. Lids are available also.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:35 pm 

I assume there are some stones that are not safe to permasoak? Anyone know of a list? Hopefully looking at adding an 8k+/- stone soon and don't want to ruin it if I can't leave it wet.

I picked up a container today with lid that fits my three stones with lots of room to spare.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:36 pm 

One other question.... Any worries about the metal swarf rusting and staining or embedding itself in the stones?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:40 am 
Forum Moderator

DIESEL <> I choose not to permasoak as I have seen just way too many stones degrade from it. I can say that a broad opinion is that Magnesium stones like Choseras, and I'm pretty sure Snow Whites & Kitayamas are a no-go on permasoaks. Not much help, but something, I hope...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:03 pm 

I just bought this at walmart for about $13 Fits nicely in the cabinet under the sink and I believe there's room to stack another one should my stone collection grow. Lined it with the black shelf liner. I'm diggin it so far :)

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:37 pm 

lol, I did the same thing for pocket knife storage, sharkbite. I got two units, took the top off one and the bottom off the other and snapped them together for a 6 drawer setup. Same shelf liner and everything. :)

I like the idea for sharpening supplies though. Since the drawers don't seal they would probably even work for drying them out as well with the shelf liners.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]