It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a 1k stone for AS knives....
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:15 pm 

Hey everyone,

I'm new to forum posting, although I have been on here from time to time regarding my knife needs.
I have Hiromoto AS knives and plan on purchasing a Kohetsu or Richmond AS gyuto in the coming week. Looking to up my stone game, first a 1k stone under $100 that will serve my knives well. I have never used a lower grit stone, so I am looking for a 1k that cuts fast and doesn't dish fast either.

The two I have in mind are from the Nubatame Ume Series. The large version and medium speckled version. Can anyone give me some thoughtful insight on how these two stones perform based on their own experiences? Or any other stone in the 1k/under $100 range?

C. Guarin

Post subject: Re: Looking for a 1k stone for AS knives....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:34 am 

I think that the nubatamas will be an excellent choice , but with all the stones in the 1k range I would refer to Ken to make a recommendation for AS knives.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:20 am 

Just about any 1k will do but if your looking at the Nubatama stones then I would recommend the 1k bamboo gold stone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Ume is the best 1k stone I've ever used. I've used it on all walks of knife steels....AS included. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying it.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]