It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shapton Pro vs. Glass (feel/performance)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:26 pm 

I'm looking to pick up a lower grit stone to use before my chosera 1k for knives and razors. I'm trying to decide between the shapton pro vs. glass. I just picked up a glass 4k and I like the feel. For the lower grit, I'm not sure if I'm better served with the pro though. Do the surfaces have the same feel and feedback?

Any thoughts on deciding amongst the two would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Shapton Pro vs. Glass (feel/performance)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

They're pretty similar. The pro stones cut fast and wear a little faster. The glass stones also cut pretty well on the lower stones and you can use them right down to the glass which is nice.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

The head of Shapton USA tells customers he thinks the Glass stones are a little better on the newer high wear resistant steels that have come out over the last decade. I'm not positive about this. It's so hard to tell unless you do a controlled test and I'm not that into it to try something like this with the two stone series on a bunch of different steels. Suffice to say they both work well.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 am 
Forum Moderator

There is a little debate in my own mind about which actually cut faster... and it's a bit of a tossup. (it's really early in the morning)

The glass stones cut faster IF you have a slurry raised, and this usually requires a diamond plate at some point. The Pro stones are more likely to give up abrasive on their own without the use of a diamond plate, so they are better if you just like to start sharpening with no slurry and generate one by sharpening.

Using the 320 pro last week I noticed how muddy the stone got and stayed if you raised a small slurry first. The 320 glass will not generate near as much slurry, but still cuts just as fast. And like Shapton has stated, the glass stones are a little better against high-alloy steels. The pro stones tend to have a little bit better feedback in my opinion. I think I enjoy the glass stones so much due to the fact that they are so consistent on everything I use them on; you always know what kind of edge you are going to end up with regardless of the steel type. Honestly I haven't used the pro stones on as many different steel types, but I'd dare to say for carbon steel the pro stones might be a little faster due to giving up abrasive faster.

So, on low alloy steels the pros do better, and high alloy steels the glass do better.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:24 am 

I ordered the glass 500 today. I have no basis for comparison, but I'm sure I'll love it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:39 am 
Forum Moderator

OBIWAN <> Be gentle w/your SR's on a 500 glass. Your bevel will be set immediately.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:10 pm 

Thanks. I have some cheap GDs and a few repair blades intend to test with first to get a feel for it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]