It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:08 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Strop till you drop question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

I've now purchased four knives from CKTG. I'm a home cook and in the first order, I received the Artifex 210 mm Gyuto with the sharpening service. Literally the sharpest knife I've ever had in my hand. I also received a Tojiro ITK Shirogami 120 mm Petty to experience a carbon knife. Impressively hard and sharp.

I was using a 7" Santoku stainless before, never had a chef knife, and got use to the wide 'spatula' style to transfer food from the cutting board to a bowl. I found the Gyuto to be more narrow and caught myself setting it down and using both hands to transfer so I bought the Artifex 190 mm Santoku and I'm totally dig'n it. I now have notice that most 240 mm Gyutos are much taller than the 210 mm. Maybe a future purchase...

Ok, the carbon knives, I also purchased a Tojiro ITK Shirogami 150 mm Petty, were a joke on my Henckel Steel so I got a Richmond Diamond Steel and it works ok but I've been looking at your sharpening videos for Noobies. Thinking about trying my hand at it.

Question, in your 12th sharpening for noobies, strop till you drop, I can't find those compounds on your website. Also, how does the compounds clean up off the balsa and the leather if you wanted to change to different compounds?

I like the western handles and the v edge because I'm a leftie. The small Petty's D handles don't bother me.

Thanks for your time and starting to stay sharp,

Larry

P.S. Registered in the Forum as 'kidcook' but haven't had much time to explore.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Strop till you drop question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Larry,

I'm really glad you like my artifex santoku. I like tall knives too since they have more utility for scooping and they have more knuckle clearance on the board.

We are in transition on some of our strop products. We will have boron carbide again soon in a goop formula with .5, 1 and 2 micron sizes. We think this will work very well. I hope to have these on the site in the next 2-3 weeks.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:13 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:....I hope to have these on the site in the next 2-3 weeks.

Do I even have to say anything...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:53 pm 

Jeff B wrote:
chefknivestogo wrote:....I hope to have these on the site in the next 2-3 weeks.

Do I even have to say anything...

Thanks for the chuckle Jeff. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]