It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Natural stones
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:59 am 

Another general questions.
Do I need to buy an expensive natural stone?
I have read some at different forums that for final finish nothings beat a fine natural stone. But they cost + 200 $ and I can get a a decent knife for the same price.
Will my life get better with a natural stone in my arsenal?

I have tried to search this forum for the same answer but I have not found any post that matches this perfect.

Post subject: Re: Natural stones
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:06 pm 

You should email Ken Schwartz at ksskss@earthlink.net. He can guide you and provide natural stones that are reasonably priced. Just give him enough information that he can make recommendations.

I have several stones and only one of them was more than $200, but that is because I was looking for something special.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 pm 

Build your synthetic collection first, as it will allow you to sharpen with more predictable results and you can spend less initially to accomplish this. I have synthetic 150, 1K, 3K and 5K which for me covers a wide array of steels, most of which have no need of going over 5K grit. Later as your skills and knowledge increase, you can add some natural stones once you know what you're looking for. I have a few natural stones I use on harder steels that I want to polish above 5K grit. I would just caution you, make educated decisions before you buy, otherwise you can spend a whole lot of money unnecessarily.

Josh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:07 pm 

I agree with Josh. You should get comfortable with your skill and synthetic stones first. You don't have to have natural stones to put an incredible edge on a knife.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:49 pm 

Coming from someone who has way too many natural stones, I would say no one really *needs* them. It's often a lot of money for a marginal improvement over good synthetic stones, especially if you're using mostly double bevel knives.

On the other hand, here are some reasons why you might look into jnats:
1) You have money burning a hole in your pocket
2) You have single-bevel knives and care about the aesthetics of the knife
3) You are sentimental about history and how it's been done for centuries
4) You believe that natural stone edges are better
5) You have money burning a hole in your pocket

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:47 am 
Forum Moderator

Do I need to buy an expensive natural stone?

No. Suggesting what you can comfortably afford and what you are sharpening will help you and your stone 'person' who is willing to discuss with you what you need come to a decision on what will give you a stone of value to you.

I have read some at different forums that for final finish nothings beat a fine natural stone. But they cost + 200 $ and I can get a a decent knife for the same price.

This is highly dependent on what sort of edge you want. There are advantages to Japanese natural stones when used with certain steel more than with others.

You can spend a lot or a little on natural stones. I have natural stones varying in price from about $50 to $4,000. Many excellent choices are less than $200, indeed less than $150.

Will my life get better with a natural stone in my arsenal?

Absolutely! You will instantly achieve a higher state of consciousness and when you flip coins they will always land on the side you want. Just kidding of course.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:38 am 
Forum Moderator

I prefer to finish the edge on Natural stones because I like the toothy edge that they leave. I have synthetics up to 8K, but I haven't gone past my Rika 5K on a synthetic stone in probably over a year now. Once I finish on the Rika 5K and strop to remove any burrs left, I use a J nat or two to finish off the blade. Usually it's Shobu, Yaginoshima Asagi, Takashima or Meara. Look at some of the Koppa's that CKTG sells for a nice J Nat at a lower price than a full size stone; you can often use the J Nat for edge touch ups and not need the big stone sizes. Kasumi finishes, it's nice having the bigger, regular shaped stone, but for sharpening, it's not needed. If I want a toothier edge, I go from my Nubatama 1K Ume Medium to a San Aoto (3-5K) or Meara and skip the Rika completely.

I like the edge off of the Rika 5K after a quick strop; it's toothy, but still smooth and refined. Works great for proteins and stuff, but for veggies, I prefer a slightly finer edge.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]