It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:58 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: natural stones for my konosuke
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Firstly i just want to say that the product i bought a few months ago was pretty sweet and im very happy with it. I ordered a 240mm corian konosuke gyuto and an ultimate edge bag. So i say my thanks.

I now need help with a recommendation for a finishing stone and i cant decide which one because this is a first purchase on natural stones. Im not the best sharpener but i can sharpen my knives to the point that i can shave hairs with them.

I currently own a 2 stones i got from Konosuke. a #1000 grit pink baked stone and a #6000 grit lobster stone and a leather strop which i use to finish my knives.

i was looking at the ozukuyama asagi, the ozuku and the Ohira tomae natural stones.

Can you please recommend the best one for me. i was leaning towards the ozuku but im just concerned if it was too much of a big jump.

Thank you for your time,

Sincerly,

Gerald

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: natural stones for my konosuke
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gerald,

I use the Ohira Tomae all the time and I think it's an excellent finishing stone for kitchen knives. It's also a little easier to use since it's not as hard as the ozuku.

I would recommend you get the dmt mini slurry plate to get a mud started on the stone as well. It works really well:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmtsmdiplfor.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:00 am 
Forum Moderator

GERALD <> The Ozuku is overkill on your HD, and the Yaginoshima is another superb option for you... superb.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:10 am 
Forum Moderator

You should consider a mid grit stone and a polishing stone somewhat softer than the ozuku. I would only consider using the small DMT or Atoma plates for middle grit stones as the slurry is going to be coarser than what you can achieve with a tomonagura.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]