It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bamboo 1k Gold vs. 1k Ume Medium
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:24 am 

Looking to get a new 1k. Considering the 1k Gold or the 1k Ume Medium.

Which is the faster cutter, is there a big enough difference to matter? I prefer the feel of a harder stone too. Which might fit the bill better? Is there another stone I should consider? I've been sharpening just under a year so I'm still fairly green. Will be using on a variety of steels including White#2, HD, s35vn and some German stuff.

Post subject: Re: Bamboo 1k Gold vs. 1k Ume Medium
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:28 pm 

Can't speak for the Ume but ken has told me the gold stone is harder but not as hard as the hard Ume.

Though a hard stone it has a heavy drag when sharpening. You can really feel it biting into the steel and it works quickly to establish a smooth natural stone like scratch pattern. I would compare it to the 600 chosera for speed. It produces lots of black swarf quickly with a bit of mud and gets increasingly muddy with softer steels. It will load a slight bit with some of the black swarf but this has zero effect on anything. The only negative thing I have found with the 1k gold is it does not perform the best on single bevel knives, tends to produce deep scratches on the soft clading which is odd because it produces a silky smooth mud when used on that style of blade.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:38 pm 
Forum Moderator

I was hoping you were going to respond. I have the 1200 Bamboo which is a softer muddy stone, that I really like before the Rika because its mud refines down so much closing the gap to the 5K. I have been planning on pairing a 1kGold Bamboo with my Aotoshi, and this input makes me much more content w/the idea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:57 pm 

+1 on the Bamboo Gold, I've been working with this stone for the better part of a year now and for the price I find the value hard to beat. Quickest cutting 1K I've used, as a matter of fact, it cuts quicker than some 400 grit stones I've used.

Josh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:23 pm 

For those that have the Ume 1k how would you compare it to what has been said about the 1k gold?

Also wanted to add the 1k gold its a kick A$$ bevel setter for straight razors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:42 am 

I would like to hear more from the 1k Ume users too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:32 am 

I have a 1K Ume medium... But it's been sitting unopened as I've been exploring natural stones. I'll try to spend some time with it this week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:57 am 

I cannot say enough good stuff about the Ume Medium! However, I cannot compare to the gold because I have never used one. What I can say is that even though it is called Medium, it is still a hard stone. If you have used the 400 latte, the two stones look similar, have about the same hardness, and very similar feel. Obviously the Ume has a better polish than the latte and I liken it closer to a natural stone finish than a synthetic polisher.

I too have made the shift to natural stones, but use synthetics up to the 1K Ume. After reading the above I am tempted to get the 1K gold and try it out, but I already have more stones than I can regularly use, so it will have to wait.

So I cannot compare to the gold, but I can 100% endorse the Ume as a great stone in this range and the best one I have used.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've not tried the Bamboo 1k either, but am in love with the Ume. Best 1k stone I've tried.....took the thrown from my 1200 Bester. Cuts fast, leaves a nice finish, and wears slowly enough.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

I like the Ume 1K as well. It's a great pair with the Latte 400. They look identical.

There is a wealth of good 1K stones around. Not as many great finishers or low grit stones.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next