It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:16 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using a honing steel on a Moritaka Supreme
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 am 

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I am seeking info on the correct method from sharpening the knife that is on its way to me.

I ordered a Moritaka Supreme Series Gyuto 240 mm. I have been in the habit of honing our kitchen knives, a set of Henckels 4 Stars using a chrome vanadium Henckels honing steel. I will also use a Henckels Twin Sharp pull through tool to reset the edges periodically.

I also have a 1000/4000 King water stone that I use for my chisels and plane blades (Rc 60 - 62).

I suspect that the honing steel will be okay for tune ups as needed and that the water stones will be the best way to re-establish edges as the wear down. I also suspect that the twin sharp is a total non starter.

Am I on the right tracks.

Thanks for you r help in advance. Lee

Post subject: Re: Using a honing steel on a Moritaka Supreme
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:32 am 
Forum Moderator

LEE <> Your meaning of the term "tune-ups" is my question.

Let me start elsewhere. Yes, your pull through sharpener is garbage. As for the steel, here's the thing. Most people slap their rods with their blades to begin their strokes. Most people... I'm not accusing you of anything. Most people also, are not conscious of angle while honing on a rod, and up rounding their edge. Again, not accusing you of anything, but in this situation, a Moritaka hardened to Hrc65-66, the odds are extremely high to chip a blade. The amount of force focused on the blade is amplified simply due to the applied surface being such an extremely small surface area. Not to mention your steel, is a relatively low "grit" abrasive.

What we usually do to true a blade, give it a tune-up, is to strop on loaded balsa, leather, or your highest grit stone. 1µ diamond spray or Boron Carbide work really well in this way. Strops are really an effective way to extend the time between visits to the stones, and they can further refine your edges after sharpening, if so desired. Considering your King combo, a strop would be a really nice way to do so. Your 1k, 4K progression could be followed with a Boron Carbide stropping to fine tune that edge & double duty to tune-up your semi-worn edge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:01 am 

I would not recommend using a steel honing rod on a hard Japanese knife. Use your stones and a strop as mentioned above or buy a ceramic honing rod.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:40 am 

stones or strop, period.

A strop helps to fine tune your edge and would be perfect to use at the end of your sharpening progression (the 4k stone).

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]