It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Post DMT8EE progression waterstone
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 pm 

I am considering adding a finishing stone following my DMT 8EE before stropping with Boron Carbide. I find that I still have some scratch pattern left after my DMT 8EE, and was wondering if adding another stone in my progression might help ease the transition and refine my edge further. I don’t enjoy sharpening any more than necessary, but love sharp knives. I like stones that are hard and provide good feedback. Stones that I have been considering that are in my price range include:

Since the DMT is rated at 8K is wasn’t sure these would fit:
Kitayama 8K
Naniwa Snow White 8K

Then what seemed like a logical step:
Imanishi 10K
Nubatama Bamboo 10K

I am afraid these might be too big of a jump
Shapton Pro 15K
Shapton Glass 16K

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Post DMT8EE progression waterstone
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:03 am 

2k Naniwa green brick is a good transition stone from the EEF. Mesh is not grit and waterstones vs diamond is very different. At its best a DMT EEF is equal to a 3k waterstone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:08 am 

I get the point, my mistake. I reviewed the unified grit chart it is calling it 4000 grit. So it is no wonder I was still having scratch pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:43 pm 

It's is easily confused when it's listed as 8000 grit on CKTG web site.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:06 pm 

For those that don't know all diamond abrasives are rated in Mesh, basically the diamond abrasive is sifted through a mesh screen with a specific size hole. It's a very basic way to understand it but its a different grading system from grit. (Typically coarser for the given number)

Diamonds also cut steel very differently due to a few factors. The main factor of why a diamond hone cuts so different is because its a fixed abrasive. Most man made stones release abrasive or wear away from the matrix as steel is sharpened exposing new abrasive so the stone can continue cutting. Diamond stones are a fixed abrasive and being extremely hard the abrasive itself does not fracture or dull in a short period of time so a fixed layer of diamond abrasive is all that is needed. Being a fixed abrasive it acts differently to the amount of pressure you apply when sharpening. Instead of breaking away like a bonded abrasive stone it pushes back digging deeper into the steel and at times can cause excessive gouging and a heavily burred edge. Another side effect of excessive pressure is hone damage, using too much force with a diamond hone will dislodge diamonds from the plate causing bare spots.

Diamonds are also a very sharp and hard abrasive material that cuts a very defined path and meets very little resistance along the way. This can be both a good and bad thing depending on the steel you are sharpening. For most average low alloy steels diamond hones are overkill because they cut too aggressively for the steel to handle. Where they shine is when the steel has a high alloy mixture with extreme amounts of wear resistance. Actually, the more wear resistance the better the diamond hone will perform.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:29 am 

Very well put Jason.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]