It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: sharpening set
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi, Ive been looking at a lot of sites lately and price comping as well as customer reviews. I was looking at buying a chosera 600 grit, shapton 1.5k pro, shapton 5k pro, shapton 8k pro, 15k shapton pro, and extra fine dmt for lapping. My few questions are: First off, could you give me a price break on buying all my stones straight from you instead of going site to site to find the best deals. Would you recommend this progression for example is this a good smooth progression without too much of a jump as i will mostly be using this for straight razors and occasionally kitchen knives. Will the dmt extra fine be too smooth, keep in mind i am fairly patient, as i fear from reading many say the coarse way to coarse flattening stone. My final question is involving the shapton 1.5k stone, i didnt really want the 1k as i heard it cuts slow and i fear that the 1k might be a too much of a jump to the 5k, but as i can not find info on the 1.5k i want to know if you think it would be a good transition to the 5k and how is the cutting power is it similar to the 2k as i heard this was a wonderful stone. I currently use a king 1k norton 4k/8k and a chinese nat 12k and also have various diamond stones and such and am looking to get something more reliable and that needs lapped less often. Thank you for your time,

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: sharpening set
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:35 am 
Site Admin

Howdy,

I'm sorry we don't offer any other discounts on small orders like this besides the free shipping. If you get up near $2000 for a single order we can often do a small discount.

You will waste your money with that DMT plate. You should get an XC or XXC for flattening.

The other stones you list will work fine for a progression. If it were me I would choose almost all different ones but these will do ok.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:21 am 

I don't see a need to go anywhere else, personally. I don't see anyone beating Mark's prices and even if they did, it wouldn't be worth it to me to save a few bucks on some unknown vendor; Mark's service is outstanding.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:05 am 

Mark's prices are as competitive as anyone's and he has a much better selection, I've check. With the free shipping your getting a real bargain over most others and his service is second to none.
Best starter set at the best price you will find anywhere. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshcoset.html
A very popular set but with a few less accessories. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mrfa3stcoset.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:36 am 

Assuming you're only planning on using the 600 for setting bevels and repairs, it seems counterproductive to choose a 1.5K as your main because you're concerned with the 1K being slow. When I was first getting started, I used a 2K Glass Stone as my main. I think I still have the grey hairs from all the time I spent in front of that thing. The day I picked up the 1K GS, it was a revelation. The speed, the precision, the feedback, everything. Until I sold the set, the 2K was relegated to dealing with any straggler German knives I had left in my drawer.

Anyways, if time is your concern, I think going with a 1K and dropping down to a lower grit for your repair stone is the way to go. The jump to 5K shouldn't be a problem at all.

And as far as CKTG is concerned, you're not going to find a better vendor anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

We get this comment so much from customers about having "too big a jump between X and Y stone" and people needlessly worry about this. As tonedef said 1K-to 5K is not a problem. 150 to 1K is not a big problem either. As a matter of fact I have a good set of Nubatamas that goes 150, 1K, 5K and it works really well. You just need to spend a little more time on the 1K and 5K in this each stone than you would with a larger progression to get out any scratches from the previous stone.

The only way you can really mess it up is if you have only a real low stone or a real high stone and nothing else. I haven't tried it but I'll bet 400/10K would produce a good edge for kitchen knives. I know straights are a different story but for kitchen knives rough, medium, fine works great and you don't need 10 stones to produce screaming sharp edges.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm sure we've all been hung up on the "Too big of a jump" thing in our sharpening lives.

That said, I knew a chef here in Omaha that used to use a 220 Pink Brick and a Kitayama....that's it'. :) He's sharpen with the 220, and strop a few times with the Kitayama.....he loved that edge. I hated it. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:29 am 

i've seen people do jumps from a 400 to a 4k

from a 600 to a 5k/6k

really depends on the stone and what you're looking for

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:18 am 
Forum Moderator

The OP said "I will mostly be using this for straight razors and occasionally kitchen knives" in his post. Does that change anyone's recommendation in his chosen stone progression sequence?

Everyone is talking about larger jumps being OK in many cases, but is that proper for straight razors? I don't sharpen razors, so I don't know the answer to this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:28 am 

Why the odd ball mix of the chosera 600?

It's a nice stone but not one I would want as my only coarse stone, it is only 600 grit, not really that coarse.

If this is mostly for razors I would be picking a different line-up.

To start I would likely go with the shapton pro 220, 1k, and 5k. This would be a good progression for knives and provide some starting points for razor honing.

To complete the razor honing you can move in one of two directions, more synthetics or natural stones. For synthetics I would recommend the 10k Imanishi stone, really awesome 10k and at a good price. For naturals I can't give too many opinions, I just got a Ozuku Asagi and have only used it on about a dozen razors. It has worked well but with less than a weeks use its hard to say. It could probably be used right after the 5k if a slurry was started first, cuts very fast that way and finishes very fine. Nearly shave ready off the stone.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next