It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Need a new 1k soon thinking 800 instead
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:16 am 

My current line-up for sharpening is the Nubatama bamboo 180, 1k gold, and 5k. I have also been skipping the 5k quite often to finish on a bamboo 1200 or my Monzen Aoto which for most knives is a ideal stopping point. Due to this I have also been thinking of changing my sharpening line-up.

I feel like I am double working myself a bit with the 1k because its so close to the 1200 or Monzen. I also use my stones a lot and the 800 bamboo being a brick size stone will extend its useable life, plus increase sharpening speed by reducing the gap in grit.

I will also be changing to the bamboo 150 for my coarse stone so in all my new set-up will be the bamboo 150, 800, and finish on a Aoto. I feel this will work out better because when I need it I have the 400 to bridge between the 150 and 800, and the transition from the 1200 or Monzen to the 5k is much smoother when I need to make a edge a bit sharper.

So who has a 800 bamboo and how do you like it? I've watched Ken's review video several times already but would like to hear some other perspectives.

Post subject: Re: Need a new 1k soon thinking 800 instead
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:26 pm 

I dont have the Bamboo 800 so cant comment, but I'd love to hear how it works out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:51 pm 

Where to begin?
  • You're putting way too much emphasis on grit numbers;
  • You have two very coarse stones, which should be saved for moving a lot of metal -- whether profiling or repair -- but aren't necessary for the kind of sharpening most people usually do. Do you really do that much heavy work?
  • If you like the 1.2K and aoto, whether as intermediate or finishing stones, and will be adding a 400, you probably don't need an 800 -- no matter how good -- or 1K at all; and
  • Unless you use different stones for different knives, or want to "collect 'em all," your kit already has too many duplications and doesn't make sense for practical and efficient sharpening.

Maybe I'm missing something, though. Help me understand what you're trying to do, usually:
  • What kind of sharpening do you usually do?
  • On what kinds of alloys?
  • Do you do a lot of major repair and/or re-profiling?
  • What's your progression for sharpening a slightly dull gyuto made from an "ordinary alloy?
  • What's your progression for sharpening the same type of knife if it needs needs minor thinning? And,
  • Anything else you can think of.

BDL

Last edited by boar_d_laze on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:56 pm 

Obsession is fun boar_d_laze :) I'm practicing it myself :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:38 am 

BDL,

I am a professional sharpener and sharpen hundreds of knives per week, 90% kitchen knives and 10% everything else you can think of.

I have worn more than half way through a Nubatama 1k gold stone and as I said instead of getting another 1k that's already very close to the Aoto I wanted user input on the bamboo 800 which I will likely get regardless. It's a larger stone too so it will in theory last me longer.

The 400 bamboo which I already have is too coarse to be used before the 1.2k or my Aoto which is around 3k. I also don't use the 400 unless I am doing single bevels.

The 180 bamboo I have is also wearing down quickly so the idea of switching to the 150 bamboo was to get a slower wearing stone and one that will be more likely "in stock". That and I have a feeling it will work better for my needs than the 180.

The whole reason I started this thread is to get feedback on the Nubatama 800 grit bamboo. I sharpen enough to pretty much know what I need/want but having the input from other user always helps support a decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:10 pm 

Well JB, looks you might be the pioneer on this stone, let us know what you think. Based on Ken's feedback, might be an interesting substitute for a 1K and a reasonable jump to your 1200 or monzen. Hard to beat the size value as well on these bigger bricks.

Josh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:12 pm 

You're the professional, but a 4 stone progression to get to a 1.2K seems like a waste of time and effort.

BDL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

To be honest with you I and a few others seldom make more than 2k jumps now is that the rite way or the wrong way, I will say for me a a couple others in the sharpening corner it works for us. That might not be the way for you but for alot of us it is perfect. I am a big nubatama fan and wish I had more most of mine lean to the higher end. I have a 400/1000 combo masamofo and a choosera 800 which is the one I usually use for setting a edge now on the new über steels the 120 bamboo is the way to go and for
Me if lasts longer than a dmt. Now with this being said you will need to make your own call on what to use most people think I overkill but I get very few complaints. Some will tell you that you only need 3-4 stones and that's great if I am wrong but you will have to figure that out for your self, but back to the original question the 800 nubatama will be fine and so will the 1k or a 800 chosera followed buy a 1k nubatama or what ever floats your boat. Hope I helped but most will say I m nuts about stones of all makes and models. If they all worked the same than why are their so many choices. Than there's the shaptons , that's for another post in itself. Peace jmbullman. You tube at jmbullman2 Facebook af Jm Bullock

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:06 pm 

Respectfully, BDL

Try reading my post, I am using a 3 that's THREE as in three stone progression going from 150 to 800 and finishing on a Aoto. Currently I again use a THREE STONE PROGRESSION from 180 to 1k to 5k. I plan on switching this progression because I am finding the 5k to be too fine of a edge. If you can not understand this or offer any helpful input then keep your sny comments to yourself.

Back on topic,

Looks like I may have to do a review of this stone once I get it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:55 am 
Forum Moderator

The 800 is going to be a bit softer than most of the 1k Nubatama stones. And bigger and more aggressive. Given your high volume and high usage rate, I don't think you would regret incorporating it into your kit.

Could you clarify how many stones you want to use in your progression? :)

---
Ken

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next