It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:03 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Honing rod & sharp. stones - Konosuke HD wa-gyuto
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:16 pm 

Hi,

I recently bought a Konosuke HD Wa-gyuto (240mm) from CKTG. I'm interested now in buying a honing rod and sharpening stones/system, for which I see many options. I have tried to research online a bit beforehand, but there is a lot of technical info so I hope you won't mind if I ask the following (simple) questions:

Is it inappropriate to use a honing rod on a Japanese knife, in particular my Konosuke HD? I read online that this is not a good idea because it may chip knives that are harder than Rockwell 61 and that are very asymmetric. However some people, e.g. "Boar d'Laze", seem to say it's okay if one is gentle:
http://www.cheftalk.com/t/58377/do-you- ... ost_295216

If this is true (please correct if I misunderstand), can you please advise what type/material of honing rod would be appropriate? For example I have read many good things about this ceramic Idahone:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/idahone.html
Is this appropriate for my knife, or are there other rods you would recommend as being more ideal?

For sharpening stones, in an online forum "Boar d'Laze" had recommended this set as an excellent deal:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/3pcstoneset.html
Elsewhere I have seen recommendations for the Edge Pro system, which I guess is one of:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/edgepro.html

I'm basically a novice with knives, and this Konosuke HD is my first move up from low-end Forschner. In particular I have never sharpened a knife, although I will be glad to invest time to learn. I'd prefer to invest in long-lasting, quality stones (and/or system) if they are a good value. Can you please suggest what would be an appropriate way
to go?

Finally I read people finish by stropping, but I know nothing about that. Can anyone please recommend a product(s) of a similar quality and value to those items I mentioned above?

Thanks a lot,
Eric

Post subject: Re: Honing rod & sharp. stones - Konosuke HD wa-gyuto
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Eric,

Thanks for posting your question here!

Yes there are a number of rods that will work on your knife. Basically you want something with a fine grit when you use the rods on harder steels. The harder the steel, generally the finer rod. Here's a video I did that shows 3 steels that will work for you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

You will have to decide which way you want to go. We sell tons of the 5pc stone set and the Edge Pro. Free handing is more fun for me but the Edge Pro is a little easier to get good results quickly.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Stropping is easy to do and gives you improved results. You can also use this method instead of a sharpening rod. Here is a quick video of how to do it:

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:23 am 

If Im finishing my knife at home on a .5 micron loaded strop, but then need to rehone my edge at work, is using a honing rod going to degrade my edge because its such a lower grit? If so, how should I realign my edge at work?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Rods are more convenient than strops for commercial kitchens and there's nothing wrong with using a fine rod at work. Just use a light stroke or two when you feel the edge dragging. Remember, if you're edge needs steeling it's already degraded a bit so you're improving the performance not degrading it when you align the edge. When you get home you can touch up with a strop.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]