It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ken's Emotions
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:40 am 

Just kidding . . . the subject is Ken's Emulsions . . .

I had some fun with the 0.25 and 0.10 CBN Emulsion . . . the knives are both Moritaka a 150mm Petty (with tip repair, broke it off twice) and a 250mm KS.

The Petty I started at 2K (green brick), 5K Suehiro Rika, 10K Naniwa SS (with 1µ Diamond), Ozuku Koppa (with 0.25µ CBN Suspension), 0.25µ CBN Emulsion on Nano-Cloth, and 0.10µ CBN Emulsion on Kangaroo strop.

This was the first time I played around mixing the stones and the suspensions. I really liked the results on both stones and of course the polish on the edge was really good too. So nice, in fact, if you hadn’t just sent me the emulsions, I would likely have stopped there. . . who am I kidding, having gone this far what is a little strop taking the edge further . . . on to the emulations!

On the KS I already had a good edge (albeit with a few micro-chips) so I wanted to just touch it up using the 0.25µ and 0.10µ CBN Emulsions.

The process did a great job polishing the edge. The KS is so hard it is prone to chipping and I did have a couple of very small chips in the blade. You could detect an improvement in both the edge and the chips but of course it did not remove the chips. To me this is better than steeling and with the CBN pre-loaded now, just about as quick. The 0.25µ emulsion soaked into the nano-cloth requiring about 2-3x more before full coverage was made.

Also, it oozed out of the nano-cloth sort of like mud on a stone. I am not really sure if this made any difference to the edge, but I thought it was pretty cool. It still oozed several hours after applying, so I wonder if it will continue or if the liquid will eventually fully evaporate (I assume so).

Hard to see in the picture, but the end result was a highly polished edge leading to the patina bevel which continues to the Kurouchi finish.

Post subject: Re: Ken's Emotions
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice, always fun to try new stuff.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Post subject: Re: Ken's Emotions
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:28 am 
Forum Moderator

I'm getting so emotional :)

Thanks for posting this. I'm finding these emulsion formulations to be quite versatile - used on bench strops or on stones or on leather belts on belt grinders.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]