It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suisin Inox Honyaki
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:10 am 

I have now read in three places that Suisin has an unusual way of sharpening these particular knives. Not just more bevel on one side, but other differences as well along the length of the blade. I have also read they are particularly hard to sharpen because of this. Who knows about this and does it really make it hard for an intermediate sharpener to keep the knife sharp. I kind of want one of these knives, but don't want to get in over my head sharpening wise. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Suisin Inox Honyaki
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:34 am 
Forum Moderator

THYDE <> I have around 50 knives, and my Suisin Honyaki is my favorite knife. I just can't sing enough praise about the whole package.

I am not familiar with the sharpening you speak of, but I can say that this knife sharpens just like any other knife. The 19c27 takes a wicked edge...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:25 am 
Forum Moderator

I have the 240mm & 210mm Suisin Honyaki Gyuto's and they sharpen just as normal as any of my other knives too.

Be interested to read that story - give us a link please thyde?

:)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

I believe I've read the same things as you....from Jon @ JKI.

He's definitely somebody who's opinion and knowledge I trust implicitly. However, this is one topic of his I don't see and/or understand as he describes it. I'm sure it's there, but I just don't know what to do about it.

I still have one of these knives too....but....I sharpen it like I do all other knives and it works fantastically well. It's one of my all time favorite knives. So, whether you try and follow what Jon/Suisin says to do or you follow your typical routine.....this knife will be fantastic.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:27 pm 

Two places I can remember. One was a forum (not sure which one) where it was Konosuke vs Suisin. One of the respondents said he couldn't even get the Suisin to it's potential sharpness until he actually visited the factory in Japan and saw how they sharpened these knives. What they did was not typical, but I can't remember the details. The other place is the Korin website where whey describe the Suisin Inox Honyaki. There is a somewhat hard to understand description of how they are sharpened by the factory and why that makes them special.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:58 pm 

The ... Korin website where whey describe the Suisin Inox Honyaki. There is a somewhat hard to understand description of how they are sharpened by the factory and why that makes them special.

What Korin is saying, and using a lot of words to do it, is that the Suisun Inox Honyaki factory edge is extremely asymmetric. I don't know the numbers offhand, but think it's something in the 4:1 - 90/10 range. In other words, it's an actual "V" edge, but barely.

You can sharpen any current, quality laser to similar ratios of asymmetry and get similar results. More asymmetry means more perceived sharpness but less durability.

... [A] forum ... where it was Konosuke vs Suisin.

It was the KKF. Jon was talking about micro bevels. Usually, what you're looking for from any multi-bevel, micro or full, is an increase in durability without compromising sharpness derived from a very acute secondary. It's Jon's position that the SIH can take, hold, and benefit from a micro bevel in ways the Gesshin Ginga Inox and Konosuke HD (or HD2) can not. The Tadatsuna Inox and Sakai Yusuke Swedish Stainless weren't part of the discussion.

To the extent that there's an actual difference between what you can do with an SIH and any other stainless laser of similar hardness, it's subtle. Too subtle to matter? Maybe; maybe not. If you weren't looking for the edge of the envelope, you wouldn't be posting in the Sharpening Q and A here.

There's no real trick to sharpening a micro bevel beyond a stead handy and a light touch for a freehand sharpener; or a light touch and an angle finder with an Edge Pro.

Personally I prefer the Kono HD over any stainless laser for its silkier and more communicative behavior on the stones. If caring for carbon isn't an issue, the Gesshin, Kono, Tad, and Yusuke White #2 will give you the same feel as the HD for less money.

The thing about lasers is that they're lasers. The differences between the top makers' knives are infinitely less important than the similarities.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:12 am 

Thanks BDL and others who responded. I did find out that the Suisin has a 90/10 bevel. I am not sure I want to mess with that. They feel it brings this laser a little closer to the traditional Japanese single beveled knife. I also like the Konosuke HD knives - I have three. Never any problems with oxidation and easy to sharpen. I wanted a WA handled Sanoktu and Konosuke doesn't have one. The Suisin looked pretty cool but I am not sure I want to deal with the bevel issue. Also looking at the Misono UX10 Santoku. Not Wa handled, but a pretty nice looking knife. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:46 am 
Forum Moderator

thyde wrote: The Suisin looked pretty cool but I am not sure I want to deal with the bevel issue.

Nothing really to "deal with"... unless you think 20 minutes on the stones is "dealing."

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]