It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grinding tip into stone
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:54 pm 

I recently have been having a problem of grinding my tip into my Bester 1000 grit stone when sharpening the tip. Is it just the stone or am I doing something wrong. I have to flatten the stone after each use because of this. It is minor, but a pain in the butt when I have to flatten everytime. Am I being too rough when grinding? Any suggestions on tip sharpening with a Bester 1000 grit. I don't have the problem on the Shapton 5000 grit or the 400 Latte...

Jason

Post subject: Re: Grinding tip into stone
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm assuming we're talking about gouging the stone....digging the edge into the stone. If not, please disregard the following. :)

Assumptions:

1. The stone is flat

If assumption is correct:

You're doing something wrong.

You should be flattening after each use anyway....regardless of gouging the stone. It's a good practice.

You are grinding the tip at too steep of an angle. It's the only way you can be gouging the stone.

It's a common mistake....having to move one's hand/wrist to account for the curve of the tip is one of the most difficult things to learn.

Use the Permanent Marker trick to see if I'm correct or not. Mark the edge and sharpen like normal. If the marker is only removed at the very edge, I'm likely correct.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:51 am 
Forum Moderator

Exactly what Adam said.

This video will help you keep a consistent angle all the way to the tip. The same principles apply whether it is oon a belt grinder or a stone:

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:57 pm 

I'd sure like to see Ken demonstrate that method with an edge pro.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 pm 

It makes me curious if I could buy a very small bubble level, and just set my stone holder with a few coins. I know I don't hit my tip as well as I should based on the sharpie idea. If I could use a bubble to keep the blade level, then set the stone before hand, it would be almost too easy, no?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 pm 
Forum Moderator

It works BUT you have to move very slowly or else the bubble jumps around. An angle cube works better but it still moves. Good for training your muscle memory though and a recommended technique to train.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]