It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Flattening Omura and Green brick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:12 pm 

I recently picked up an Omura 150 and Green Brick and have worked through my German knife collection. I am definitely getting the hang of this and these knives have never been so smooth and sharp.

After grinding back the bolster on two Henckels chef knives (successfully!) the Omura is now seriously dished. I made a laughable attempt to flatten it with medium drywall screen and the Omura did a fine job grinding that away. What can I use to flatten this thing besides an $80 diamond stone.

The Green brick flattened nicely with the drywall screen but I do see black specks scattered across the surface, is this from the sandpaper?

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Flattening Omura and Green brick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:26 pm 

You could get the $30 diamond plate. I used it for a long time and it did a perfectly adequate job. A little slower and creates more stiction on finer stones, but it works to flatten, even if not as perfectly as the higher priced plates. Unfortunately out of stock at the moment, but I don't think that tends to last long with those plates.

To me doing sand paper or drywall screen is only the cheaper option in the short term, as they ware out quickly and you always have to flatten. You'll burn through enough paper to pay for the plate in...I don't know how long... But you almost assuredly will.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 pm 

You can pay heed to Carters recommendation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_InT88S ... lpage#t=92

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Not recommended. It's almost impossible to sharpen on the ends and sides of the stone and eyeballing flatness is not nearly as precise as actually flattening on a plate.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:15 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:Not recommended. It's almost impossible to sharpen on the ends and sides of the stone and eyeballing flatness is not nearly as precise as actually flattening on a plate.

+1

In theory keeping a stone flat by selectively using the surface sounds wonderful but the truth is humans are not very precise machines so it does not work in our favor. Sounds great in a instructional video though.

The Omura despite being a fairly basic stone is not all that fun to flatten. If you don't have a diamond plate the sidewalk might not be a bad option until you can get one. Once the Omura is flat use it to flatten the green brick.

And yes, those black specks are a bad thing on your GB.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 pm 

Obviously differences of opinion:
I've had no issues using his method distributing wear on the coarser stones like the King 150, Nubatama 150, Norton 220 & Shapton Pro 220. Those stones wear much too quickly as you wash them down the drain.
Starting with the Chosera 400 on up I do flatten those.

Note: recommendation is:
    "...based on the assumption...when your sharpening a blade only
    one part of the stone is ever in contact with one part of the
    blade at any given time..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:51 pm 

I do some sharpening on selective areas to help keep from having to grind away as much stone when flattening. I will use the corners/ends of a stone if I need to work the tip or heel a little more after working the edge. This keeps the center from dishing as quickly and grinding more of the ends/corners of the stone off and washing them down the drain.

telesharp -->I don't usually advocate this but if were just talking one low grit stone, take that baby outside and grind it down on the sidewalk and then wash it off real good to remove any contaminants. If you have a full set of stones or plan on getting more stones just give it up and get you a diamond plate. It only hurts for a little while! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:55 am 

This sounds like a job for sandpaper. A stone like that is going to tear a diamond plate to bits. You'll want the plate eventually for the Green Brick, though.

I've done similar bolster removal with an even coarser stone and the side I used will never, ever be suitable for sharpening an edge again. I use it exclusively for tips and bolsters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:33 am 

The sidewalk did the trick. I definitely smoothed the concrete too. It is not perfectly flat but pretty good with only a few scratches. Not flat enough to use on the green brick however.

As for the Green brick, the surface has some mottling after I lapped it with 220 drywall screen, but it looks like its part of the stone, not anything embedded. Not normal?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:51 am 

My Green Brick is a consistent creamy green across the surface after a good lapping.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]