It is currently Thu May 28, 2015 10:10 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SG-2/R-2 Sharpening
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:29 am 

Hi folks,

I have a new knife on the way from CKTG! It's a Shibata Kotetsu Bunka. It would be my first powdered steel kitchen knife. Rather, I have a Benchmade 707 also in pm steel, but that doesn't apply here. I have 2 stones I use for my various other carbon, clad, and stainless kitchen knives, a 1000 and a 6000. I also have a 120 diamond plate for truing and re-profiling.

Would these 2 stones be acceptable for the sg-2/r2 steel on the Shibata Kotetsu Bunka or is there something else that would be a better option? I ask because I've read varying opinions of the ease of sharpening powdered steel.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: SG-2/R-2 Sharpening
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:42 am 

What particular stones?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:03 am 

Oh god...I really don't remember. They are a few years old. If it helps, the 1000 grit is terra cotta/burnt umber colored with no markings. The 6000 grit is white and is connected to a light brown plastic base that has rubber feet...also, no markings. Both are waterstones and I never perma-soaked them, just a couple hours before sharpening.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:26 am 

Are the colors similar to this combo stone? http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kingcombostone.html

If so, and they're pretty muddy stones, yours might be Kings.

"Our survey shows 43% of men would rather eat bacon than have sex." -Jon Taffer
Apparently "both" was not an option.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:42 am 

Most likely King stones and most likely won't work too well.

I highly recommend the Kohetsu stones, they will easily handle the PM steels and provide an edge that ideal for most cutting tasks. They also make an excellent core set of stones that's easy to build on. If you want a finer edge I would recommend the Nubatama 4K Ume stone, it can handle PM steels very well.

kohetsu-waterstones-ordered-t8924.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:50 am 

I have found SG2/R2 pretty middle of the road to sharpen. I admittedly wouldn't want to try it with Kings, but my Shapton Pros have been up to the task. The horror stories I've read regarding S90V and the like have not held true with this steel.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:27 am 

Are the colors similar to this combo stone? http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kingcombostone.html

If so, and they're pretty muddy stones, yours might be Kings.

Yes, the colors are similar. And, you about summed it up...they are quite muddy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:55 am 

Try the Kings before you buy anything else. I have a Takamura R2 on which the Kings (Deluxe 1200 & Deluxe 6000) sharpen fine - not the most aggressive stones but they do work well on R2.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:46 am 

Yup definitely try it... some of the stone differences are just about patience and work. I would rather be done faster, but i'm no professional sharpener doing bunches of blades, so an extra 5-10 mins is no big deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:28 am 

I have the knife in question and don't find the SG-2 steel particularly hard to sharpen. My stones are harder though (Naniwa Pros/Choseras)

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next