It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dumb idea?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:24 am 

I've recently been gifted some assorted power tools, among which was a 6 inch riyobi bench grinder. I know these are used by axe sharpeners and some chisel communities, so my first thought is, "well why not knives?" The unit isn't variable speed so I don't think I'm going to put any thin knives near it, but I'm assuming if I keep a dunk bucket near by this could be useful for serious metal removal and bolster repair for project knives and turning older, cheaper knives into legitimate cutting implements.

The unit is pretty bare bones, two different grit spinning wheels, a flimsy feeling adjustable flat guide, a magnifying lens, and a motor, are there different accessories or attachments to become a more useful tool? I'm hoping some experienced users familiar with power equipment can give me some of the strengths and weaknesses of this device before I turn it on and possibly kill a knife or myself. Fwiw, I have good gloves/goggles, and I'll probably get a good leather apron of some sort. I don't know what sort of personal protective equipment is recommended for this unit because common sense is telling me it can be a fairly effective knife launcher.

Is this the wrong tool for the job or can I tweak this into an indispensable time saver that'll prolong the life of my coarse stones.

Post subject: Re: Dumb idea?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:29 am 

http://www.buya.com/Item/Details/RYOBI- ... AgRu8P8HAQ

The unit looks nearly identical to this, minus the second lens, if that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:46 am 

I wish I had a water stone for every lady that brought me a knife in that her husband or husbands friend used a grinder to sharpen the knife on.

It goes against every grain of sharpening passion that I have but if it something you need to try for yourself, go for it:)

Be careful, use proper safety goggles, or you will be seriously injured.

Peter

Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:45 am 

The beginning of your last sentence says it all - "the wrong tool for the job". There is a reason that stock-removal knife makers use belt grinders, preferably with variable-speed capability.
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Check that the surrounding metal guards don't keep you from grinding ALL the way from thre heel to the tip unobstructed. This is a deal breaker. Ideally you want a slack area and an area with a platen behind it. I could go on .... Gibe me a call for more details and accessory options.

---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:23 pm 

It's a bench grinder... please don't use it on knives.

This type of grinder is made to do fast stock removal, you could probably grind a 1/4in thick bar at a 1/2in per minute easy. On thin steel it will cause a burn almost on contact and remove enough steel to make a knife lover cry.

It's still good to have around though, very useful in all sorts of home and automotive applications.

For sharpening, Riyobi makes a variable speed grinder that works well and is what I use for finishing. A 6in grinder with shrouds removed and 8in wheels installed, I use a Scotch brite wheel and a leather polishing wheel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:06 am 

I'm surprised at some of the responses to your question.

All men have a need at some point in time to sharpen a knife, an urge that has to be acted upon. Some try something quick and dirty and some go another route and get more involved. I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking of a bench grinder to sharpen a knife. I think there it's wrong to go further than that though. Besides the fact that it can really do a lot of damage to your knife, there are other things to consider. There is no connection between the user and the knife, it's just a machine that does a crappy job. I don't care if it's the best grinder you can buy, it will hurt knives and do nothing in terms of fulfilling a need to sharpen.

I'm not criticizing you, you asked the question. I thought of it too once , I had lots a dumb ideas and I tried some to prove they were a dumb idea.

In my world here, there are two different sharpeners, one who uses grinders and one who uses water stones. Like either having dinner from a vending machine or a high class fine dining restaurant. Sometimes that vending machine seems like a good idea but you usually regret it afterwards.

Peter

Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:53 am 

I appreciate the responses so far, I want to reiterate that I'm not planning to "sharpen" knives with the unit, more trying to gauge whether or not it's a useful tool for those "serious removal" moments. I am intrigued with the idea of leather wheels for finishing; however, I worry this wouldn't be an option without the variable speed. I have a pork butt in the smoker today so I have nothing but time to lurk and putz, I might give Ken a call.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

My bad. I read this as a belt grinder, not a stone wheel grinder. Reset.

You can remove all the guards and use it as a buffer, using it on edges and for refinishing using diamond bars with cotton buffs, etc. Turns out to be quite useful.

I use my bench grinder to sharpen CPM10v lathe tools, using either special abrasive wheels or CBN wheels, depending on the lathe tool needing sharpening. Sharpening requirements for lathe tools are quite different. Some tools are HSS, TiN, carbide, etc.

Phone 209 612 2790
---
Ken

Ken'sCorner

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]