It is currently Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: knife for loan to new sharpeners
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 am 

We see a lot of people here who want to learn to sharpen, or need to, at least. I have a knife that I am willing to loan out for practice, if anyone is interested. I will probably post the offer in future threads where people are asking about getting into sharpening, but I wanted to get it out there now in case anyone is interested in borrowing it.

Many of the people who are active on the forum are familiar with this knife, but for those who aren't, it is a Tojiro ITK 240. This knife has a white paper steel #2 core, clad with soft iron. It was a project knife for me and someone else (GopherBroke), and is somewhat different than it was originally: The knife has been thinned, and the kourichi finish removed.

The knife takes an edge easily, and is the size most people seem to prefer, so it should be a good practice knife. Also, it doesn't matter if anyone messes up the edge, so should lower the stress. If someone borrows it for practice and gets it in shape beyond what they can fix, they can just send it back to me and I will straighten it out. It is also fine for people to dull it so they can practice resharpening it, and do that over and over for practice. I have not used it much, but Gopher says it gets dull very fast with use, so it could be sharped, used, and sharpened again, too.

The worst thing about this knife is that the cladding will rust like crazy, even while you are sharpening. Again, don't worry about it. Remove the rust, or don't, it is fine either way. The core steel is far less reactive, and shouldn't be a problem unless you use it on food and don't keep it wiped off.

If anyone is interested, just PM me and I will send it out.

Carol :)

Post subject: Re: knife for loan to new sharpeners
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:23 pm 

Wow, this one was yours? I remember reading somewhere that you hate patina. Is this patina revenge?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:28 pm 

Yes, this one was mine. It doesn't really take a patina, it just rusts.

I actually have it packaged up and ready to send to someone tomorrow. And then have someone else who wants to borrow it too. It should a good knife to practice on, as it sharpens easily, and there is no danger of ruining it. Plus, it is long, so if someone can sharpen it, they should be able to sharpen shorter ones even easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:29 pm 

caerolle wrote: Yes, this one was mine. It doesn't really take a patina, it just rusts.

I guess that fixes the problem with the dislike of patinas! :lol:

caerolle wrote: I actually have it packaged up and ready to send to someone tomorrow. And then have someone else who wants to borrow it too. It should a good knife to practice on, as it sharpens easily, and there is no danger of ruining it. Plus, it is long, so if someone can sharpen it, they should be able to sharpen shorter ones even easier.

I think we should form a line....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:55 am 

Nice gesture Carol!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:46 am 

A line would be great, Geo, except I hate for people to have to wait! I wish I had several I could send out. :(

I didn't expect this much interest at once, I am struggling with how long to suggest each person keep it. Originally, I was thinking several weeks, but now I am wondering if maybe a couple of weeks is more fair to other people who want to use it?

Advice is welcome!

Carol :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:29 am 

I tried mustard, apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, cherry cider.. all kinds of shizz to try and get it to take any sort of patina; to retard the discoloration it left on food, and rusting.
The 240's cladding was very reactive, and I mean wicked! I also own and use the 120 petty, and it's the exact opposite. it took a patina easily and holds it well, and is damn near stainless-like. It doesn't discolor food like the 240 did, not at all.

I polished it to damn near mirror-like, and it reduced its' reactivity greatly, but that created a new issue with food release, or strong lack of. I couldn't find a happy medium with it, and sent the red-headed stepchild back home to her momma, Carol.

As Carol said, it sharpened very easily and get just silly sharp.
I found the edge retention on it to be less than stellar, but what can you expect in a $50 knife?
This is the best solution for it ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:23 pm 

Well, I'd like to get in line to try it out!

Carol, I think that you can ask and see how impatient people are....I don't mind waiting. Give each person a month, maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:06 am 

Hey Dude, PM me your addy and I will add you to the list.

I was thinking like 2-3 weeks, and up to a month if the person really wanted. Honestly, people might get tired of messing with it after a few days.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:14 am 

Knife is in the mail for the first person...

Page 1 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next