It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: You don't need an angle cube if you have an iPhone
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:59 pm 

If you open the compass app, notice the two dot's on the bottom.

If you swipe over to the other part of the app, stand your phone up on edge, BAM angle finder. The iPhone 5 and up gyro, especially with the 5s, is much more accurate than whatever's in the angle cubes out there.

I plan to test it with my nice architectural triangles a little later on.

Post subject: Re: You don't need an angle cube if you have an iPhone
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:49 am 

There are those types of apps for any smartphone now and most are just for the fun of it. As Rick said, I'm not using my $600 phone to help me sharpen knives.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:29 am 

Just for the fun of it? What is the fun in checking angles? If you meant to call it a novelty, it's a pretty stupid novelty... Just tossing a viable alternative out there. Don't know what that has to do with the fact that an iPhone is expensive, I've seen ruby tipped feeler gauge's, and laser equipment that cost a lot more, and do a pretty similar job.

The app is native to iOS, and it is really very accurate. Setting it on the arm of an edge pro, or checking your accuracy while learning hand sharpening, is nothing more than giving you a baseline for later repeatability. If you jot down the number or remember it well enough, it will help you set up an edge pro to a much closer match than will sliding the collar up and setting it at the "bottom" of a round dot. The iPhone has a nice flat side, made of extremely flat aluminum, which allows it to rest very nicely on the straight profile of the rod.

Just tossing it out there, didn't think it would be so offensive. I use my $600 smartphone for a lot of things, leveling my camper, leveling the platen base on my commercial t-shirt printing equipment, recording how many miles I've biked in a given day, listening to music, searching the web, replying to emails, impromptu photos, etc. I don't even have it in a case! Whoa. The fact that it has an accurate level that also gives an indication of how many degrees off level something is.

Don't know how many people realized that it doesn't require the purchase of a separate app, but is built right in to iOS. Use it or don't, and take it for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:43 am 

I use mine for dozens, maybe hundreds of things. It's the most useful general purpose tool I own, surpassing my pocket knife. I would certainly use it for this (if I had an Edge Pro).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 am 

It's definitely handy if you don't have the Angle Cube, but cannot tell .00 of a degree which is where the AC is nicer.
Having .00 of a Degree accuracy is neat for precise edges.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:40 am 

Doug,

thanks for the info. i just checked my iphone 4, and there it is. pretty cool.

pat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:25 pm 

Ya know sometimes its best to say nothing than say something incredibly insensitive and insulting. I wish some folks would take the former path more often than the latter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:06 pm 

pjwoolw wrote:Ya know sometimes its best to say nothing than say something incredibly insensitive and insulting.

A BIG +1.

Mowgs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:17 pm 

As mentioned, I am hesitant to introduce my iPhone into the abrasive world of my sharpening station. And I know abrasive! :mrgreen:

Getting past that, I actually have no idea how the instrumentation works in the Angle Cube. (A mass suspended with a matrix of strain gauges?) I know that the iPhone uses a gyroscope. Gyros suffer from drift over time which would give me pause to rely upon it for repeatability. Now I'm not suggesting that I need a laser ring gyro, but I need sufficient precision to be able to set up my Edge Pro with no fuss and hit the edge of the edge every time. I just think that the Angle Cube, as a purpose-built device, is better suited for this particular use.

I have had the iHandy Carpenter app on my iPhone since it was introduced and it does provide readout to the tenth. Besides it's functionality, it is just a visually pleasing app and well worth the $2 purchase.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:22 pm 

I have had the iHandy Carpenter app on my iPhone since it was introduced and it does provide readout to the tenth. Besides it's functionality, it is just a visually pleasing app and well worth the $2 purchase.

Used this app to level a TV I was hanging on the wall today. Great little app though I must have the lite version as I don't recall paying for it. Somehow it got all jacked up and had to reset "level" on my countertop. I hope that was level. :) Good enough for my TV, not sure I'd trust it with my knife angles.

If I didn't have an angle cube, I could see using my phone as it's certainly more accurate than the dots. Good bit of information, thanks OP.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next