It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:17 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Case Kitchen Knife Bevel Angle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:54 am 

I have my whetstones and will soon start sharpening an assortment of victorinox, case and a few old family hand me down carbon steel knives. What bevel angle do I need to shoot for? Need to practice.

Post subject: Re: Case Kitchen Knife Bevel Angle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:56 am 

15 degrees for the carbons and 20 for stainless is basic. You can use a protractor and make cardboard cutouts of the different angles and set them under the knife on the stone to get a visual of how the angles look holding the knife.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:54 am 

With older, soft carbons, I don't know if I would intentionally go for 15 degrees right off the bat. Use a sharpie to mark the edge and practice sharpening them with the current bevels; if you find the knife particularly thick, you can always take it down a few degrees the next few times you sharpen until you hit a comfortable angle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:20 pm 
Forum Moderator

+1 on Lepus' post. I'd either match the existing bevels as he stated, or start off a bit more conservatively at 18* or 20* per side and see how that edge holds up.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:59 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I have been sharpening to something around 20 degrees based on recommendations and the CKTO business cards. Mostly getting a fair edge that cuts paper. Have sharpened a few Victorinox inexpensive paring knives but have obtained my best sharpening edge on a Forschner Victorinox knife that resembles a Japanese style blade shape. Cuts paper pretty good. One thing I need to work on is getting the same bevel angle on both sides. I think I am sharpening at a less angle in drawing blade toward my body. I have been sharpening both sides while holding knife in right hand. Been trying different techniques but my old muscle memory is the old western style of drawing blade toward you and away going from heal to tip. This is going to take some time but the stones are fast. I like Arkansas stones but should have moved to the J whetstones years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:12 am 

I only sharpen with the knife in my right hand, too. Whatever works.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]