It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Green or Red?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 pm 

As I've noted in my other posts, I have some but by no means in-depth experience in knives and sharpening and am just now learning the ins and outs. I've been contemplating both the Edge Pro system and freehand sharpening, and while the former appeals to me because of its set angles and relative ease of use, learning the latter is something that would be immensely satisfying. I currently have a Forschner Fibrox chef's knife, a Wusthof Classic and MAC Pro Mighty, along with an Idahone. I've spent my formative years using the Germans and have a little experience with the Japanese. My thoughts are to use the Forschner as a beater, the Wusthof as a chef de chef and the MAC as the go-to, but this could change with more use.

In trying to decide between the benefits of Choseras and Shapton Glass stones, I just noticed on this site both the 2k Naniwa Aotoshi Green brick and 1K Shingata Akamon Red Brick. Having a single stone on which to really learn freehand sounds appealing, as does the price, so before I commit to higher-grade stones I'm wondering which one of these would you gents recommend -- or not. I'll appreciate your feedback.

Post subject: Re: Green or Red?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:34 pm 

red for regular sharpening, green brick for touch ups and finishing on western knives

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:54 pm 

Red for regular sharpening, green brick for finishing on western knives and touch ups.
Oh wait...Franz just said that. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:44 am 

lol =D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

You wouldn't want a 2k stone only, so the 1k stone is almost necessary. If that's what you're asking anyway. I've never used either stone, but I would never want just a 2k stone....you really can't remove metal (i.e. sharpen) on a 2k stone....it's more for edge refinement after setting the bevels on the 1k.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 am 
Forum Moderator

Adams point is completely right. As much as one likes to simplify life, the 1k is a key stone to have. It isn't ideal for major repairs, but it is the first grit (well maybe an 800) where you are really going past defining the geometry of an edge and producing sharpness. You need something coarser than a 2k available for anything but touching up an already new edge.

I'm also curious why you are going for a brick sized stone ... not saying that's wrong but curious.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:52 pm 

I just saw it on the site and thought it interesting; a single stone, relatively inexpensive. Just trying to zero in on what's available, their strengths and weaknesses, decide how I'm going to use it, etc. From everything I've read a 1K and 5/6K stone is probably best for my uses, adding a 500 and 8K later on. Shaptons, Choseras, Bester, Beston, Rika are all under consideration, whether it's freehand or Apex.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

OK so if a brick size isn't a key consideration, this opens up more widely to the same discussion as in this thread:

starter-set-t1827.html

Excluding the Mac, your other knives won't benefit from a higher grit stone so a 5k grit stone is more than enough for them and a 5k is perfect for the Mac.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:22 pm 

Thanks, Ken. Good to know that the 5K will service the MAC properly. I really don't want to screw up its edge, which is why all the questions about stones, Edge Pro, etc.

Next to sharpening, I'm spending nearly the same effort wondering if I should have gone Messermeister Meridian Elite rather than the Wusthof with PTEC edge. I had the original non-Asian-style Messies years ago and loved them. I'm hoping the MAC will banish any such thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:28 am 

rsp1202 wrote:Thanks, Ken. Good to know that the 5K will service the MAC properly. I really don't want to screw up its edge, which is why all the questions about stones, Edge Pro, etc.

Next to sharpening, I'm spending nearly the same effort wondering if I should have gone Messermeister Meridian Elite rather than the Wusthof with PTEC edge. I had the original non-Asian-style Messies years ago and loved them. I'm hoping the MAC will banish any such thoughts.

For future prospect you should check out Marks line of knives here,http://www.chefknivestogo.com/richmondknives.html The quality and price of any of his lines are unbeatable period.If you want to get really serious about knives start investigating heat treatment,percentages of elements in a knife,metallurgy etc.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next