It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:45 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Overwhelmed by amount of gear to sharpen.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. This is my first Japanese knife. I have only a sharpening steel. I've been reading that the wetstones are the way to go for these knives. What would be your suggestion for a stone if I was to buy only one (and am a total newbie)? I've browsed a few of your videos already and feel overwhelmed by the amount of gear required for sharpening. What is that device that you mount the stone on over the sink? Is that required? What about the deburring cube - is that optional as well?

Best,

Leigh-Ann

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Overwhelmed by amount of gear to sharpen.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Leigh-Ann.

Most of us go way overboard to try and squeeze the top performance out of our edges. This is not required.

You can get a very good edge with just 1 stone. Try a shapton Glass 2K stone and don't get anything else and with some practice you will get a really sharp knife with this one stone. It's easy to use, forgiving and requires just a quick splash of water on it to use. You can also use the same stone in place of a sharpening rod. Just give your edge a couple quick strokes instead of steeling. If you go this route please come back and ask questions on this thread and I'll help you (others will jump in and give tips as well).

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:58 am 

I own a shapton glass 2k via cktg, and its been great on my softer stainless knives as a finish stone. As an in between stone i can see no reason that it would not be incredible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 am 

Leigh-Ann wrote:....What is that device that you mount the stone on over the sink? Is that required?....

That is a sink bridge that is used buy many because of the convenience of water being near and containing the mess to the sink area, it is not required but can be nice to have. I would recommend a stone holder, they are very useful. I personally use a plastic cutting board set across the sink divider and put my stone holder on it. You can do your sharpening on the counter or anywhere convenient to you.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]