It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Would like to build a FREEHAND Stone Set
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:19 pm 

Although I have the Edge Pro, I would also like to build a freehand stone set.

I am not sure whether to get a set of matching stones (Choseras OR Shapton Pros OR Shapton Glass) or to mix and mingle...

Would love some feedback as to some good progressive set ideas.

I actually currently have:

A 1000/5000 Naniwa Combo Superstone
A 600 Chosera (attached to base)

Don't really care if these are "included" in the progression of stones or not, as I don't mind building a new set from the bottom up.

Should I go the way of a matching set or mix it up (e.g. Bester 1200, Rika 500, etc...)?

It is not "really" about cost - just want a solid progression that I will enjoy using for both Japanese Carbon Steel AND Western German Wusthofs.

Thanks!

Real Money Fantasy Leagues

Post subject: Re: Would like to build a FREEHAND Stone Set
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:04 pm 

Is there something you don't like about the Naniwa and Chosera that you already have? Seems like you would be fine with those unless they are not doing what you think they should for you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 pm 

I guess one thing is that they seem very different. I almost find that the 600 Cho isn't coarse enough to really work a new edge on a bad blade... and the 1000/5000 SS is almost too fine in some cases for the middle ground of the progression. I dunno, that is my initial feeling. Just don't feel like I have a comfortable, complete progression.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:31 pm 

You need a solid progression with a quality set of stones.

Mixing and matching stones only works when YOU know what you are looking for in each stone.

The question I would ask is,

What do you sharpen? Do you have any laminated blades, single bevels, or powder steels?

Do you like a edge a little coarser 1k-5k or more polished 8k-15k?

And do you prefer a mirror polish or a natural polish?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:50 pm 

To begin with I will be sharpening my own knives which will consist of:

My NEW Moritaka KS 250mm Gyuto

A number of Wusthof Cordon Bleu knives

A Santoku and Petty Misono UX10

A couple of Wusthof Classic knives

A Spyderco knife I use for camping, and some other similar knives (filet, other camping knives)

Of course friends and relatives want me to do some sharpening for them. Mostly no-name knives or Henckels (not the top quality ones).

Lastly, I hope to add to my Japanese knives as time goes by (looking at getting a Konosuke HD next).

So really it is a mishmash of knives, everything from cheap no-name knives to quality German stainless to Japanese Carbon...

Nothing out of the ordinary, and likely nothing more than 8K will likely be necessary.

Now, I am also considering doing a little home business for neighbors in the area possibly down the road once my skills improve. There are just no knife sharpening services around here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:03 pm 

What about this progression?

Atoma 140x plate
Atoma 400x plate
Already have Chosera 600
Shapton Pro 1K
Shaptop Pro 2K
Rika 5K
Naniwa Snow White 8K

Not sure exactly where my 1K/5K Naniwa Superstone Combo can fit in to that progression, but I also have it.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:19 pm 

Looks like you are just throwing stuff up on the wall to see what will stick now. Get a clearer idea of what you want in the way of an end result then you can fill the holes in your set so they will meet the need you have.

Last edited by Paradox on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:29 pm 

Bottom line is I want a solid progression of stones. I have been doing a lot of research/reading and these seem to have excellent feedback, reviews, etc...

I really haven't been impressed with the Naniwa SS 1K/5K combo stone, so if you take it out of the mix... doesn't the progression make sense?

Atoma 140x plate (rebevelling and flattening up to 1K)
Atoma 400x plate (flattening stones over 1K)
Already have Chosera 600
Shapton Pro 1K
Shaptop Pro 2K
Seuhiro Rika 5K
Naniwa Snow White 8K

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 pm 

My other option is to just get all Shapton Glass stones and call it a day... (along with the Atomas of course).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:57 pm 

It's difficult for me to recommend much besides the Nubatama stones. They give the perfect combination of ability to emulate natural stones and have the cutting power of diamond hones thanks to their high grit density.

When you take out variables in sharpening you can focus more on the sharpening itself. When you lack a proper progression or stone quality you fight to achieve the goal which can overall be frustrating.

With the Nubatama stones I know I can handle all the knives you listed and any one you could pick from Mark's site or your neighbors drawer. I know I could make a sharp edge on a "stainless" chef knife while also having the ability to create contrast in the hard and soft metals of a $500 yanagi. For that type of "bases covered" sharpening line-up its not cheap as one would expect but worth every penny when you do get handed that priceless traditional blade that needs the best of stones.

If you want that kind of ability and reliability I would recommend from the bamboo series the,

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next