It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to touch up my edges?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,
I'm looking to add either a strop or steel to my kitchen knife sharpening kit. I finish most of my knives on either the Chosera 10k or the 5k. However I see many of the steels offered are much larger grit size. Would I still see the advantage of steel use if bought say the idahone ceramic? Would I be better served just adding a strop and polishing the knives I finish on the 10k further? I need some guidance. I've never used either.
Thanks for the help.
Brian

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: How to touch up my edges?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

You have several options when touching up your edges. I do all of them from time to time based on what's handy at the moment.

Rod: Using a fine ceramic rod like the Idahone you mentioned is a perfectly good way to align your edge. It's very fine and easy on your edges and it's cheap at under $30.

Strop: Using a strop does the same job but it's finer and even more gentle on edges. You can use leather or balsa or horse butt or nano cloth or Kangaroo leather. They all work. Usually most of them require a little fine compound paste or diamond spray to effectively work.

Stone: You have a 10K Chosera stone and this would make a fine touch up stone (or the 5K for that matter). Just use edge trailing strokes on the stone to touch up your edges. It will give you added practice on your stone as well and doesn't cost you anything since you own it. I use a Japanese natural stone called the Ohira Tomae at home all the time and it works great for this purpose as well as a final finishing stone when I sharpen.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: How to touch up my edges?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:23 am 

I use an Idahone fine and it works very well honing your blades very well between sharpenings. I believe the grit is 1200ANSI or about J3000.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]