It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What rod to use for my Shuns?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Thanks for sending the apex essential sharpener. I love it. I have a related question. We bought A few Shun knives, at a local kitchen store before we found out about your business. Do you recommend the smooth polished steel honer for the Shun kitchen knives or something else?

Thanks

Jim

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: What rod to use for my Shuns?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Jim,

I recommend either the Idahone or the Mac Black Ceramic rod.

You can find them both in this section: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sharpening-steels.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:21 pm 

For the money the Idahone can't be beat. I don't think Mac is worth the extra cost.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 pm 

If VG-10 I would recommend a polished steel. If SG2 then the ceramic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Something I've been really interested in lately is doing a 2-step steeling process. Use a coarse steel then a finer one, just like going to the stones. Even though it might be a little more to carry 2 steels, I still feel they would be more convenient than bringing water stones to work. You have to clean the knife in order to use waterstones, whereas as steel can be used after the knife has been simply wiped off.

I think a great coarse/intermediate steel would be the Richmond 600 grit diamond steel http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ri12dishst.html

and the follow-up of an Idahone would do well at 1200 grit http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sharpeningrod.html

That's 50 bucks for the pair, and you could maintain a great edge on any kind of steel with that setup. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:44 pm 

Not to Hijack, but the Mexican immigrants that I work with hone knives against other knives. This process makes me cringe, but life goes on. What are they accomplishing doing this? At work I use a Tojiro that I maintain on an Idahone and resharpen with stones about every 10 days currently. Like everyone else reading this, I'm curious to get more insight into the matter,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:08 pm 

i've seen my fellow countrymen do this as well, could always tell them not to do that and hand them a honing rod.

most of the time this happens only because they don't have a rod for them to hone their knives on.... and another knife was just handy at that point in time.

i wouldn't steel a knife specially with thin edges like japanese knives if you don't know what you're doing. if you hone it too hard you'd chip the knife. a light touch is what's needed, and with western/european knives with softer steel, you get used to having a heavy hand on everything including honing them.... which does more damage than help it. well that's just my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:31 am 

This is very interesting... I bought a ceramic steel when I started purchasing Japanese knives because I thought that the diamond was too abrasive (I owned a diamond steel first).. Given that I have almost all carbon (White, Blue, and AS) with a few AEB-L, Some VG-10, and one HD... Would you still recommend a ceramic steel? I was also taught in culinary school that every time you pick up the knife to start a new project that I should hone - not sharpen, but just give it a couple light swipes... Given that my chef instructors only know a fraction of what most of you know.. were they giving bad advice? Is my ceramic the best all around steel for my hard steel knives?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:55 am 

well, it's your knife and you know your knife best. if you think the knife needs a couple swipes, that's really up to you. if it does help then, who's to say you're wrong? =D

everybody's got a different approach to sharpening and honing. if it works for you then don't think about it too much. doesn't hurt to try out other people's techniques though. just see what works best for you and do that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm 

"What rod to use for my shuns?"...can't help but chuckle thinking what the casual observer/non-knife nut would be pondering while reading the title of this thread. "Not sure what a SHUN is or why you'd need a ROD, but it sounds painful". Sorry, I normally like to contribute something intelligent when I comment, but I couldn't resist.

Josh

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]