It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Atoma 140
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:24 pm 

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether the Atoma 140 comes with a stone holder or do you need a separate one? (The website says: "This line consists of an aluminum base plate and a diamond impregnated sharpening pad.")

And I know this question has been asked before, but what do you prefer for flattening higher grit stones (Shapton Pro 2000 +): the Atoma 140 or the DMT XX Coarse? Or something else?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Atoma 140
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Atoma 140# all the way - it has NO equal!!!

:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Most people will put the atoma in a universal stone holder for metal removal on a knife, or for flattening the plate will often be used under running water in your hand.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

I believe the OP is referring to that steel base that the Atoma's come with....the diamond surface place it replaceable....yes?

In that case, it's not a "stone holder" like you're referring to. The Atoma's are two parts....the base and the diamond surface. It's marketed as being replaceable to save some money when the diamond surface wears out.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:50 pm 

Yeah, like that ever happens! If you wear it out, AND want to do the work of replacing it yourself, you will be one of 3 lucky people in the world who gets to save 20 bucks.

The Atoma 140 comes 'assembled', so it's a big hunk of metal with a diamond plate glued on it, and it does a great job flattening all stones, because it doesn't stick nearly as bad and cuts quickly, even after breaking in. Considering you will never need to replace it, I would say it is very worth the extra money over the full size DMT XXC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Is sticking really a benefit compared to the XXC? I've had my stones "stick" but it just takes a twist of the wrist under some water to unstick it and I usually flatten under running water anyway.

I do think the atoma is better for metal removal. It's cuts more consistantly for sure especially compared to a new out of the box XXC.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:51 pm 

I kinda like it when DMT plates 'stick.' its a nice feedback to tell me to stop :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:16 am 
Forum Moderator

The Atoma 140 with the Aluminum base fits nicely in a stoneholder (as Mark mentions). With the Aluminum base it is about the thickness of a Shapton Pro stone - 15 or so mm approximately. All things do wear out eventually and you can replace the 'blade' and keep the Aluminum base. Of course there's two sides to the Aluminum base, so you could mount a second 140 on the other side giving you a well broken plate and a new plate or use the other grit sizes - 400, 600, and 1200 to mount on the opposite side. I tend to use the finer Atomas especially the 1200 for shaping fingerstones. The Atomas are the premium diamond plates, both for flattening and texturizing stones and for working on abrasion resistant steels. Especially on finer plates the stiction problem can be quite severe on other plates than the Atomas so that sometimes the stones are almost impossible to remove from the plate without breakage. Sometimes the stiction tells you when to stop - just a little bit too late :)

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:17 pm 

mckemaus wrote:I kinda like it when DMT plates 'stick.' its a nice feedback to tell me to stop :)

This is a fair point.

Mark, yes, I do notice a significant drop in sticking. It helps when you have to flatten 6 stones 2-3 times in a day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:52 am 
Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]