It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good all around coarse stone.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

Would you please post this question on the forum as I am not able to? Thank you.

I am looking for a coarse stone for reprofiling and lapping. I currently use diamond plates, but find they are too rough to maintain a constant edge angle when shapening freehand. I was considering a Shapton 320 glass stone but wasn't sure if it could be used to flatten other stones.

What coarse stone can reprofile, lap, won't dish too fast, and isn't so rough that the knife bounces around when reprofiling?

Thanks for your help,

Jim H.

P.S. I am very excited to receive my Green Brick Of Joy!

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Good all around coarse stone.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jim,

I would encourage you to use a diamond plate for flattening. You can use a stone but plates are ideal for flattening since they don't dish themselves.

We have a ton of good low grit stones now. The 320 shapton is one of them. I also like the beston 500, the chosera 400 and there are a couple of really good nubatamas that are worth checking out. The 150 bamboo is a really good one as is the 320. If you like the green brick you could also consider it's stablemate the 150 Omura. Of all these stones I think I've used the beston the most but I mix things up all the time so I can have experience sharpening on different stuff and then I can talk to customers about them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Beston 500 is my go-to coarse stone. However, it still needs to be flattening itself. If you already have diamond plates, you're set though.

It can be used to flatten other stones as well. Great, great stone.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:43 am 
Forum Moderator

For me the 150 Nubatama Bamboo. Fast as hell and leaves a good finish too. Not even a fair contest with the other stones mentioned. The first couple times you use it you will be SHOCKED at how fast that burr comes up. Adam this is one you gotta try. The 320 Bamboo has been reviewed favorably against the Beston 500, but the 150 is something I like even more. Just the right mix of fast AND leaving a finish just slightly coarser than the 400 Chocera, so you can easily go from the 150 Nubatama Bamboo to a 1k stone - or even the Green Brick Naniwa.

In general for coarse stones, I like to use diamond plates and use the coarse stones to remove the diamond scratch pattern. Best of both worlds. You get the flatness of a lapping plate and don't put as much wear on the stone so it stays flat during the session. The 150 can be lapped easily with the Atoma 140, making this an excellent low grit 'team'.

When you go to the coarser Nubatamas - 120 and especially the 60 and 24 grit, these are extremely fast metal removers yet hold their shape quite well, but you need something to get those scratches out. For example the Aratae or XXC (24 grit) - use the Atoma 140 for scratch removal :) Seriously. You can use the 64 and 24 grit Nubatamas as stone flatteners too since they hold their shape well.

The Naniwa Synthetic Ohmura cuts quickly but dishes quickly too so it especially should be used with a diamond plate as I described above. Especially for single bevels, a soft coarse stone can get you into trouble especially regarding producing wandering shinogi lines and excessive unwanted rounding of flat single bevels. This is also true of the Natural Ohmura, with the natural Ohmura imparting a high contrast coarse finish. People use it as a flattener for naturals, but my personal preference is still a diamond plate for that too. It was used historically before diamond plates were around.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 am 

Holding an accurate edge whilst using a sub-300 grit stone is less about tools and more about cajones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:52 pm 

I'll need to agree with Ken on this one. I have the Nubatama Bamboo 150 and have been impressed from day 1. Dishes extremely slow, creates a burr likes it's nobody's business, leaves a very pleasing finish for such a low grit stone IMO (as compared to diamond plate finishes), and for the money you get a TON of stone, damn near the size of a masonry brick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

I've got a good one on the way.....

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

forthosewhotoil76,

My compliments to your good taste :) The 150 Bamboo is a stone that can really change people's opinions about coarse stones in general. I've demonstrated this stone on the EP too. I never come home with any of them :)

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]