It is currently Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Caught the bug!! Could use some help..
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:06 pm 

Hey everyone!
My first post here. I started getting into knives and sharpening before christmas after watching my mothers' Misono knives being abused for years. I searched around the web and ended up getting a couple of stones. Since then I've been bitten by the bug and have spent a lot of time reading and watching vids etc. Even have my first carbon gyuto on the way(T. Fujiwara Nashiji 210). I now realize I wish I had done things a little bit different initially. Taking the first advice I got, and also being limited by the selection of where I bought them, I purchased some King stones. I have the normal 1k, the Hyper 1k, and the 6k. I'm still a novice when it comes to sharpening, but I can put a decent edge on a stainless knife. My questions are:

1) Any advice on a sharpening stone set or progression on stones that would give me wider range, that works well on a multitude of steels, good feedback(very important as Im still quite fresh), and is fairly fast? I see a lot of people loving the Beston, Bester, Rika set. I have also been looking into synthetic Aoto stones to have something in the 2-4k region both as a finishing stone and a general touch-up or light sharpening. Nubatamas seem great, but quite pricey. Dollars stack up fast, so I want to feel quite sure that my next puchases will be good also in the long run

2) My edge retention has improved after shapening, but I have trouble keeping the "bite" or toothiness of the edge. Is it easier to get a toothy edge if you start your sharpening on a lower grit stone? Never tried a lower grit stone so I'm not sure how this works. Would you smooth out the scratch pattern but keep some of the initial bite as you progress through the stone grits, or would the amount of bite just be a function of the last stone in your progression?

I realize this became a long post, but there's just sooo much info out there, that it can be a little daunting for someone without a lot of experience.
I would really appreciate any advice or input!

Halfdan

Post subject: Re: Caught the bug!! Could use some help..
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:41 pm 

How toothy or smooth the edge becomes is a function of the stone grit. If you want a smooth edge sharpen to grits higher than 4000 and for toothy edges stay under that. My personal favorites are the Kohetsu 2k, Naniwa Green Brick and Shapton Glass 2k.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:58 pm 

Thanks Jason!
I'll look into those. My King 6k(at least in my hands) leaves no bite, while I've read people say they get an edge with quite some bite on other 5-6k stones(like the Rika), so I didn't know what to make of it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:07 pm 

Welcome to our world Halfdana!

The Shapton Glass are not known for feed back and I didn't find it too toothy.

I'm a Nubatama fan and think you might find this helpfull demystifying-the-nubatamas-t9447.html

Douglas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:23 pm 

Thanks Douglas

I watched some of Ken Shwartz' videos on these stones and they seemed great. However, CKTG are sold out on most of them or don't stock a lot of the stones you mentioned as far as I could see. Are there other places you could buy them?

Halfdan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:53 pm 

halfdana wrote:I watched some of Ken Shwartz' videos on these stones and they seemed great. However, CKTG are sold out on most of them or don't stock a lot of the stones you mentioned as far as I could see. Are there other places you could buy them?

-------
From Ken directly:

209-612-2790 or
mailto:ksskss@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:58 pm 

Also look at natural Aoto. They put a great edge on kitchen knives with a range of 2-4k depending on the working of the mud. They leave a fine yet toothy edge.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:09 pm 

The Suehiro Rika does leave much more tooth than most high grit finishing stones. It feels like an edge from a slightly coarser stone. Grit, unfortunately, isn't just grit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:28 pm 

Appreciate all the feedback guys!
Are natural Aotos expensive? Where would you buy these?
The Rika seems to be a good stone for the money. In addition to a synthetic or natural Aoto, plus a decent lower grit stone and I think I'll have a lot of range and options. This is starting to become a real hobby of mine. Kind of a snowball effect also. The more I get into it, the more fascinating it is, and I keep wanting to get more knives and stones. Guess a lot of people here can relate to that :)
The problem with living in Norway is that there are no/few places to buy these things, let alone test them out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:53 pm 

Touching up on a leather or balsa strop loaded with some 1u diamond spray/paste will help keep that bite between sharpenings.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next