It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recommendation of stones
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:18 pm 

Your videos have convinced me to try freehanding! Up until now I have always used the Edge Pro.
I have decided to stick with my Atoma stones on the EP for reprofiling but I would like to get a new bench stone in the 1K - 5K range for finishing the edge (I like a toothy edge).

You have experience with many stones so I wanted to get your opinion. Which stone that you sell meets the following criteria:

1. 1K - 5K
2. Gives good feedback (not too hard)
3. Lasts a relatively long time
4. Under $70
5. What you would consider a good "all around stone"
6. Can be used for touch ups on knives with small micro chips or micro rolling
7. Good stone for a person who understands sharpening but new at freehanding

Thank you for your time and experience,

Jim

Post subject: Re: Recommendation of stones
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:36 pm 

Have no experience with newer sources, but for your price range Shapton Pro 1K or 2K do a solid job for me. They cut well, dish fairly slowly, flatten easily (I use Norton Flattening stones), and work well splash-and-go. If I had to pick only one, it would be tough, but 1K seems a good choice given your EP backup.

OTOH .... that Nubatama Ume Medium 1K would get my attention now if I was needing to replace my 1K ... 8-)

Tom B

Last edited by doubtingtom37 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:55 pm 

I have the Suehiro Rika 5k for my finer bench stone, has a great creamy feel, and seems to leave just enough tooth for me
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suri50grst.html

I haven't used the "Green Brick of Joy", but keep thinking about it due to the amazing reviews it gets.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html

I wound up getting shaptons(glass)for my EP, and i really like the edge Ive been getting off of them as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

I use a Bester 1200 for my starting stone on most knives. Works pretty well and is a great 1-2 punch with a Rika 5K. Works quick enough that I often repair small chips with it instead of bringing out the Bester 500.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]