It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Green brick question.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,
Is your green brick the same as the blue aoto brick? I have purchased the chosera 1k from you a while back and love it. I am sharpening straight razors and was wondering if the green brick would transition between that and the snow white. Also what can you tell me about that stone?
Thank you
Phil

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Green brick question.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Phil,

No the blue aoto is a different stone than the green brick. I like the green brick better as a middle stone between the two you are using. Even better would be the chosera 3K.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 pm 

The green brick is a excellent stone, I use it often and could tell you many things but what are the main concerns?

The "Green brick of joy" got its name because it is a joy to use. It's smooth silky feel yet positive "grab" on the steel makes for great feedback and let's you know its removing metal without trouble. It tends to hold onto the metal sward and not make a mud though with some types of knives its working style does change. Overall a great stone that can polish much further than its 2k rating.

IMO, if you like Aoto stones the green brick is a must have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:17 pm 

It's a chalky feeling stone, so keep that in mind if you are sharpening straights. I don't like that kind of feeling, but it does gouge easily, which I find to be advantageous--I"d rather a razor/knife carves an edge off my stone than have the stone grind a hole in my edge without telling me.

It leaves a very very shiny edge indeed, but I find it to be only slightly more refined than a normal 2k, and you really gotta coax it.

I think you should either get one more stone between the 2k and the Snow White, or just get a very fast, slightly higher grit stone(more in the 4-5k range--Shapton GS 4k, Chosera 3k, Suehiro Rika[though not the best for razors]). It will save you tons of time on the Snow White, and for razors, I have yet to find a reason to prefer having ANY sub-5k scratches left on the edge.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]