It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ever have one of those knives?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:35 pm 

Yesterday I was given 3 Globals to sharpen and was warned by the owner (young new cook) that he had ruined them. I've heard that before and I've normally found a way to get around a problem, with time and determination there is usually a sharp knife at the end of the day.
This particular knife was a different though. A 7 inch Global Santoku with a granton edge. The problem was that the owner had purchased an Asian Knife Sharpener ("This 27 dollar device is the best sharpener in the world and guarantees results")
There was so much metal removed that the micro bevel was now touching the bottoms of the dimples in the sides of the knife, the knife was repeatedly run through the machine in an effort to correct the mistake. The mistake just kept getting worse and then there was a pretty decent attempt to sharpen it with water stones but the bevels were very uneven.
So the cutting edge actually lined up with the bottom of the dimples and in some cases cutting into the dimples.
I had a really hard time getting a decent edge on the knife, I put a compound bevel of 12 and 17 deg but it just wasn't getting sharp. Finally, it did get a to a point where he could use it in a kitchen, perhaps as sharp as it was new but nothing to write home about.

After that I had to sharpen a normal knife just to make sure I hadn't forgotten everything I have learned over the years. I won't soon forget that knife.

However, as he was leaving, I recommended a new knife to replace the Santoku, he said: "I'm thinking of getting a knife from Chef Knives To Go, have you ever heard of them"? So the evening ended on a happy note several minutes later.

Post subject: Re: Ever have one of those knives?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

Just say no to grantons. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Ever have one of those knives?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 am 
Forum Moderator

Often I find that using diamond plates (Atoma / DMT / Films) especially for initial bevel setting really helps for those knives from hell that don't want to take an edge. You can thin the blade to the bottom of the Grantons but usually it isn't worth the effort.

---
Ken

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]