It is currently Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:14 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke fujiyama 190mm bunka?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:23 pm 

Does anyone have this knife or used this knife either the blue or the white and can give me a little review on whether or not you like it? thanks

Post subject: Re: Konosuke fujiyama 190mm bunka?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:10 am 

I noticed a while back that it was still available, and was orchestrating a way to purchase it, but I simply can't afford it at the moment and I already have two Fujiyama Gyutos. Not only is it a Fujiyama, but it's got the height that I personally like...54mm. It's long enough at 190mm and has a nice looking tip AND the nice Konosuke Ebony handle.

Looks like an amazing knife; I'm surprised that it's still available.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:34 pm 

Kirky, I bought the Blue #2 as soon as it became available this past June. As in the second it was posted to the site. The demand for the Fujiyamas is at a fever pitch and now I see why...I am floored by its performance. Tall, just how I like all my knives, effortless on anything dense (carrots, cabbage, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts) due to its spectacular laser thin - complex convex / concave asymmetric flat grind. Edge bevels were damn near imperceptible like a fraction of a mm. Very good to excellent edge retention, due I am sure to a near perfect HT. Six months in and I still haven't had to give it a major sharpening just touchups w/ a 4000 Shapton and several loaded strops. The only thing I don't like is:

1. The ebony & honey horn handle, its slightly oversized but not in anyway uncomfortable just adds too much additional cost IMO. I would have much rather preferred a handle less version and done the wenge & maple.
2. I am not crazy about the soft iron cladding, the reactivity was low but finally settled after about 3 months.

But I don't need 240's due to board space and 210's due to their typical low heel height feel small. The increased height at the heel - 54 on mine gives a perceived feeling of greater length while still feeling nimble and is always the first one I reach for everyday. I have very large hands, one of the reasons I like my knives tall.

As versatile as a gyuto? Probably not. But the cool looking edo style tip gives it a bad ass look as much as I dislike that term. And enough curve at the tip for rock chopping with a nice long flat spot giving it a nakiri like feel. Better for veggies than proteins but works well on them too. I've resisted posting a review until I gave it a major resharpening and to help keep the rabid demand for the Fujiyama series subdued, as I now would like at least 1 or 2 more. ;)

Well there you have it, the review I didn't intend on writing. :lol:

The Fujiyama's are everything everyone says the are. Exceptional.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:53 pm 

I hesitated the last two times the Blue #2 one came up and have been awash in regret since. I will not make this mistake again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:43 pm 

Dr. Zaius wrote:The ebony & honey horn handle, its slightly oversized but not in anyway uncomfortable just adds too much additional cost IMO.

Little off topic but, I don't find the Konosuke Ebony handle large at all, and I'm not an overly huge guy. In fact, I find them quite comfortable and fairly slender. Not sure if it's different for a Gyuto vs the Bunka. Here's a comparison to the Teruyasu another member posted. You can see the Teruyasu Fujiwara is a fair bit bigger(if it's the factory handle) in the pic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:01 pm 

I have a Kono HD Addict and compared the two. Bunka - bigger in diameter than HD but shorter in length, looks an just like TF. Probably helps with balance, but I like a slightly blade heavy feel. Not a fan of Ho.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:05 am 

Yeah, I like the blade heavy feel too. I love that about my Nakiri. That knife is so awesome. 165mm and 195 grams of mean chopping power. I stick it into the chopping board while I'm adding ingredients. :) The Fujiyama is a lot more sleek and finished, but it's balanced, not at all blade heavy. I like the balanced feel when it comes to slicing.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]