It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sayas vs folding knife
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:42 pm 

Hey, im really close to make my first order here from CKtG and these knives will also be my first knives better than the Porsche 301s so I'm really excited! The knives will be masakage koishi 240 gyuto, masakage koishi nakiri and the kaneshige white #3 330m yanagiba. Now to my question, I will most likely only use my knives at home so no real use for travel protection. But it feels like a man should buy a saya to his knife anyways just for the sake of having one :P
I will be buying one for the yanagiba since it will be stored with it cuz it won't fit my knife block :P but I'm not sure about the gyuto and nakiri... $60 is still some money for something I most likely will never use. So I'm thinking about skipping those two sayas and spend the money on the shun higo nokami folder instead :P

Sooo what's your opinion? Is a saya something I should get for my pretty expensive knifes even though I won't really need them more than the look or should I use the money on that awesome folder?

I will most likely buy from here more times so maybe I could order the sayas next time if I feel I miss them?

Post subject: Re: Sayas vs folding knife
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:55 pm 

For home use knives that are stored in blocks and on magnetic strips I think sayas are a waste. I have one saya for my suji because I take it to relatives houses sometimes. None of my other knives have them and I've never wished they did. If you happen to want to take a knife somewhere you can always make a cardboard saya. Just one opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:45 am 

Sayas are really meant for transportation, not for storage. They can trap moisture and contribute to rust and corrosion of carbon blades. If you choose to store your yanagiba in a saya, make sure it is perfectly dry and has a very thin, very light coating of oil on it. A better choice would be in the original box.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:40 am 

I would, instead of two saya, buy a very nice fitted knife block, drawer insert, whatever. I fully agree that, for home use, a saya is overkill.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:39 am 

Okey thanks for the answers!! :) Sounds like I will be skipping the saya for at least the gyuto and the nakiri then! On knives like the masakages, do you think it would be any problems buying them later if I wanted them? And next to the oil, is it worth buying the camelia oil from here or just use some other cheaper oil from a hard wear store?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:06 am 

bigbadwolfen wrote:Okey thanks for the answers!! :) Sounds like I will be skipping the saya for at least the gyuto and the nakiri then! On knives like the masakages, do you think it would be any problems buying them later if I wanted them? And next to the oil, is it worth buying the camelia oil from here or just use some other cheaper oil from a hard wear store?

You should use stable food safe oil that won't go rancid. That rules out cooking oils, as well as most oils in a hardware store. If you don't want to spend the cash on camellia oil, just get some mineral oil from the drugstore. It works well, but it just a bit more viscous than camelia.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:29 am 

I love the camelia oil and have used it on all carbon knives, cutting boards and knife handles for the last 5 years, I'm 10% of the way through the bottle. It goes a long way!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]