It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:23 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: How many of you actually buy sayas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:53 pm 

I was curious to know how many of you (especially home cooks) actually buy sayas for your knives. I think I've actually only bought one, got one as part of a purchase but mostly I just buy the plastic sleeves.

I have some type of cover for each knife I own but it's not like I travel with my knives nor are they in a drawer so damage wouldn't be an issue.

The reason I ask is that I've now bought what I consider my first trophy knife with a custom handle and now I'm faced with the custom saya question. I'm already 800 into the knife do I forgo the saya or say F it and spend the extra 150 and get a custom saya? What would you do?

Post subject: Re: How many of you actually buy sayas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:00 pm 

I dont buy any but make my own for all my knives. I like the extra protection when the knives are in transit. That being said, if you never take the knife anywhere and have a specific spot (not drawer) then I dont see a point.

I would say hit a craft store, grab some wood and take a go at your own saya.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

As kalaeb said, if you won't or will rarely take the knife anywhere and have protected storage for it ITK, I'd just use plastic or cardboard sleeves for the rare occasion they're needed.

With that said, I do have one saya that I bought with a Kono HD2 240 Funayuki/Gyuto. It fits a number of 240's, including my Kanehide TK 240, and it is a nice option if I want to take the 240 and throw it in a tub, grocery bag or something for a weekend out. I don't need to put it in a knife bag, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:05 pm 

All of my knives have sayas that I bought or made. Since I keep all my knives in a drawer, I like to keep everything more or less protected. I also like the look of sayas hehe. BTW I'm a home cook.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm 

As a handle and saya maker, I think a custom saya is a nice way to complete the knife as a decorative and protective touch. I am a home cook and have made or purchased sayas for almost all of my J-knives. I generally keep my knives in their sayas in a drawer or on the counter next to my board. I do not like knife blocks or the drawer inserts due to blade chipping. Additionally, like many guys here, I have a lot of knives and they are not all in the kitchen at any one time...so when they are stored elsewhere, they are safe in the saya.

You may be able to find a ready made saya for +/- $30, ask Mark, or get a custom from one of the makers on this forum...many custom sayas are in the $70-$100 range....$150 seems high.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:18 pm 

I've only bought 2 sayas for my many knives and only because those two knives travel sometimes. All my other knives are hangin' out on the wall on wood magnetic strips I made.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:53 pm 

For stainless, especially lower end stainless knives, I just get plastic sheaths. They do the job well enough.

For carbons though, I always get a saya. They tend to have a little more room to let your knife breathe, and the peace of mind that comes with security makes the day a little less stressful. That, and they won't scratch the sides of your knife up like a plastic sheath.

I gotta say though, if you're that deep into a knife I don't see why you don't have a saya. Give that blade the love she deserves!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:24 am 

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm getting just a basic poplar saya

Look for the knife in the photo section soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:40 pm 

I don't have any and also wondered the same thing. I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to have one made for my suji when I send it out for a rehandle. Mine sits in a wooden drawer insert and at 270 is a bit too long and peeks out the back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:50 am 

I figured that a lot of people would buy them, but it seems that sleeves are more popular? I would this the saya would fit better and "protect" the knife better than other sleeves and covers?

When I get an expensive knife I would like a custom handle/saya, but that begs the question, how much does one spend on a knife in order to justify custom handles/sayas? I think I will be making a thread now for this question :).

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]