It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anyone use the Shimo Bunka or the Shimo Nakiri?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:06 pm 

This is a two part inquiry and speaks to the Masakage brand.

First: The Bunka is a fun knife for us. IF the Shimo Bunka is like its Gyuto, then
it looks to have laser qualities and that would be a nice difference to have in
our small but growing stable of knives. My initial preference was for the Yuki
Bunka but I'm concerned about a grind that is might be less desirable as a
match for the push-cut technique that I prefer. So, bottom line..is the bunka a laser like the gyuto? Or, for
that matter as an alternative is the Yuki Bunka..which is stainless clad, laser like.

As for the Shimo Nakiri, this is more of a utilitarian quest. Through experience
I have come to realize that I prefer a long flat profile, even if the cutting edge
slopes upward. My issue is with a belly. My technique is combination of push/cut and chop chop.
On either move, a belly is going to bottom out. For a demanding prep session where the end
goal is to mince large quantities, even as a home cook, it seems that it would be more
efficient to have a significant amount of flat space. For you more experienced chefs,
I am glad to take advice on re-thinking my technique but this is where I am today.

I like the light weight on the Shimo line and it's getting some nice kudos. The tall
blade is potentially another plus. I use the ten finger scoop but I also keep a plastic
scraper on the board too. Seems hazardous to risk a lateral move with the cutting edge
when deploying the actual knife as a scooper but I might be tempted to at least use
the nakiri with cutting edge down when re-arranging mounds of ingredients.

High reactivity is the biggest negative though not a deal killer. My major interest in posting
is feedback about the profile of the Shimo Nakiri.

As an aside my 92 yr. old Mom is having a super bowl get together for her friends still with her.
She's a die hard Saints fan but is fascinated with Seattle because she wants to better
understand their tactics.

Post subject: Re: Anyone use the Shimo Bunka or the Shimo Nakiri?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:31 am 

Hi Bill! I tried to score the Yuki bunka earlier today, but it was OOS.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying a stout and watching La Boule Superbe en Quebec. It's en francais and all the commercials are for Tim Horton's. Mary Lu is sporting a fleur de lis on the back of her vest, so we're with your mom in spirit. She sounds like an interesting lady.

Cheers,

Rick

Post subject: Re: Anyone use the Shimo Bunka or the Shimo Nakiri?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:11 am 

I have the yuki ko-bunka (130mm) and its got a pretty good thin grind on it. The 170mm is likely thinner behind the edge being larger, that's as far as I can advise.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]