It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: How BAD would a AS clad stainless affects food
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:32 pm 

Hello everyone,

It's Tommy again. I'd like to raise this question and hopefully get some answer as well. I was in search for a great gyuto but i have to work with quite a lot of food that reacts to carbon (cabbage, fennel, lotus root, pickle vege...) so i have to stick with stainless and i did find a knife that i would like to purchase (Kanehiro ginsen - good edge retention, doesnt wedge food and no reactivity??)

But i cant get my head off AS clad stainless because of the quality of AS knives and how good it performs. Can somebody please give me some opinions about this reactivity issue please.

Thank you very much.

Tommy.

Post subject: Re: How BAD would a AS clad stainless affects food
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

TOM <> I own the stainless clad AOS Kanehiro. I experience effectively no reactivity with food after a patina set after a month. There is probably around 5 square inches of AOS that is actually bare, and with that amount of exposure, reactivity is limited. The Kanehiro AOS is arguably my favorite knife. Their forge/temper is an out of this world AOS.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

With the stainless clad AOS steel core knives, the edge will react quickly and then pretty much stabilize. Or you can force a patina on the exposed AOS steel and that should limit the reactivity. I have a Kanetsune AOS core, SS clad blade. The edge is a beautiful purple/blue from cutting lots of proteins and even when used on onions and stuff, I don't really notice much discoloration, but the food is also immediately cooked, so I don't know how the food will react long term.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with these guys. I can't tell any difference in the food that I cut once a little patina covers the edge.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:51 pm 

Just one final question before i plave the order, does this Kanehiro wedge food at all??

Mark, can you please give me some more details of the AS Kanehiro and Ginsanko version please.

Thank you very much and have a great one.

Tommy Truong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

There was a review of the Kanehiro on here a little while ago and from what I remember, the wedging was minimal if any.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

It's not super thin so it will wedge a little but not much. The blades are pretty much identical between the two series except the steel. They're good, solid knives and so far people have really liked them. The Ginsan ones are going off special in the next week or two. I wanted to entice people with a good price on them and it's seem to have worked. We're selling them well.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

I figured that was coming... :( I knew there was no way such an awesome knife could remain at that low a price point.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]