It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:01 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Looking for a gyuto!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:33 pm 

Hello CKTG Forum! First off, I am a working line cook and I am looking for something for everyday use. I have a 240mm western style gyuto of an unknown brand (old sushi chef that I worked with used to call it a Japanese Dexter lol) which I am looking to retire after almost 3 years of daily use. I bought a 7" Togiharu santoku to play around with but I'm not in love with it so here I am looking for another 240mm gyuto!

1. Are you right handed? yes
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) gyuto
3. What size knife are you looking for? 240mm
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? looking for my first carbon steel knife
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? would like a wa handle but not a deal breaker exactly
6. How much did you want to spend? $200 at the most
7. Do you know how to sharpen? yes

Like I said I'm looking for something for daily use. I'd like my first carbon steel, wa-handled knife but not something super delicate, more of a workhorse knife that I can get really really sharp. Thanks in advance for your help, and I'll probably be doing this again soon for a sujihiki!

Post subject: Re: Looking for a gyuto!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mike - I think one really good candidate would be the Kohetsu Aogami Super 240 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html. It's thin, but still has enough spine IMO to be a workhorse type of knife. Great AS core steel with super nice heat treat. It's just a really good performer with very good F&F, nice handle, etc. It's stainless clad for a little easier maintenance at work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:48 pm 

SteveG wrote:Mike - I think one really good candidate would be the Kohetsu Aogami Super 240 Gyuto: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu24gy.html. It's thin, but still has enough spine IMO to be a workhorse type of knife. Great AS core steel with super nice heat treat. It's just a really good performer with very good F&F, nice handle, etc. It's stainless clad for a little easier maintenance at work.

+1 it's my current work horse in a high volume kitchen along with apprenticeship work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:00 pm 

Tanaka Damascus Gyuto 240mm: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto1.html

Great price on a great knife that holds a great edge and makes a great workhorse, isn't that great! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:07 pm 

Thank you guys, I had been eye-ing both of these knives! I was also wondering about the tanaka kurouchi (sp?) finish. How reactive is that finish as far as rust and discoloration? And how does the aogami stand up to rougher projects?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mike, can you define "rougher projects". It might help to know the breadth of tasks you'll perform with your replacement Gyuto.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:43 pm 

I suppose that was a poor choice of words, I definitely won't be cutting any bone for stock or lobster bodies or anything like that. I plan on keeping my old gyuto around for that sort of work. Most likely won't even be cutting fish with that, I have a deba and a 210 mm Tojiro DP petty that I love for cutting fish. I just meant forintensive prep really and maybe some meat fabrication and slicing, how's the edge retention for these knives?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Mike, AS steel is known for it's high edge retention qualities. Hopefully we'll get some pros that use the AS Kohetsu to give some edge retention feedback from in the trenches. I'm a home cook and don't test edge retention anywhere near like you folks do ;-).

Actually - Nick (Nmiller21K), what your Kohetsu AS edge retention experience?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:57 pm 

The Kohetsu is a nice knife but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a work horse knife. It's edge is very thin is very good for refined prep work and slicing boneless proteins.

If by rougher projects you mean bone hacking, you can't do that with any gyuto. You need a more robust knife to cut bones. What stones are you using to sharpen? I'ts absolutely necessary to have good stones for keeping the knife happy.

I own the Kohetsu 240 and currently got a Tanaka Kurouchi...forum member discount price of 99.99...Currently on sale for 129.99.

Personally I would choose the less expensive Tanaka over the Kohetsu. I own both and If I had to work with one I'd go with the Tanaka. The Kohetsu is a very nice knife, great handle, excellent fit and finish but the blade is very thin and anemic. Food wedges on the Kohetsu more than the Tanaka.

The Kohetsu is not a bad knife, but when I cut carrots for mirepoix I hate working, I hate having to push hard and fast. I just want to push and get the damn carrot out of the way. The convex grind of the Tanaka releases food better than the Kohetsu.

What sharpening equipment do you have now? It's important to have at least a 1k and 4-6k stone for maintaining edges. If you don't have the proper stones spending more on a knife isn't going to give you the deserved performance.

I view the Tanaka as a mechanics special. It needs some polishing and lots of work but it's worth it. The knife does react but if you keep wiping it off in between tasks it's no big deal.

I think it is very bad advice to suggest a knife is a capable workhorse just because of the spine thickness. The Kohetsu is very, very thin behind the edge and the blade thins out quickly. The Tanaka is thin behind the edge but the blade thins out more gradually. The grind on the Kohetsu is more flat while the Tanaka has more pronounced convex.

I feel that the way the knife is ground is the true deciding factor on what is a workhorse. That's just my personal opinion. The Tanaka has been much much easier to sharpen and keep sharp than the Kohetsu.

With all that being said I think the Kohetsu is a good knife but really should not be prescribed as a workhorse when it's thicker spine and super thin grind make it a bit more delicate for some work situations.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:05 pm 

I have 400, 1k and 6k grit stones. Nothing special but they get the job done for the rest of my collection. How's the profile on the tanaka? I'd say i'm somewhere between a push cutter and a rocker, would it be comfortable for that?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next