It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First Carbon Knife
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:32 pm 

I want to dive into carbon knives because of all the good things I hear about them. I am a professional chef but I would like to get my first carbon knife as a home knife so I can see how the patina forms and what kind of care it takes before I use it in the professional kitchen. I wanted to get thoughts on the kiritsuke style knives. How do they preform? From what I have read they are becoming more popular. I like gyutos but can this hybrid knife hold up to a gyuto? Tojiro also has the ITK Kiritsuke for $80. That's not breaking the bank but what are your thoughts on that knife. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: First Carbon Knife
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Yes that would be a good one to try. It's easy to sharpen and takes a good edge. The knife is much less than most comparable ones and it's super popular for that reason.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkkigy24.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:57 pm 

8 and 10 inch Elephant Sabatier Carbon Chef Knives purchased about 15 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:41 am 

I would Go with the Richmond Addict 52100. Yes, it is a little more money than you were considering, but it is an incredible value and an incredible knife.

Go To http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ca52ad24gy.html

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:25 pm 

Thanks for the input guys! Does the Kiritsuke have any advantage over a regular gyuto? I am really trying to save up for the Konosuke HD but I kind of want to play around with a carbon knife. Would you suggest forcing the patina or allowing one to react naturally?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:12 pm 

I like to start by forcing the patina. It makes the knife easier to maintain.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I like to do a Meat Patina. Get a nice beef tenderloin or pot roast, cook it nice and rare and slice away with the carbon knife. I even take a couple of pieces and let the blade sit between pieces like a sandwich. I find rare beef gives it a nice bluish/purple patina :) I was going to slice or stab the knife into the roast and leave it in there for a while, but I was hungry, so I did the slice method instead :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:12 am 

Haha that is awesome Taz! As far as the colorful patina goes, will that go away after I slice say onions or another acidic food or will the "meat forced" patina hold through other food prep?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:43 am 
Forum Moderator

I usually do the meat patina once and then go to other foods. My food usually consists of peppers, mushrooms, onions, and proteins (chicken, pork, steak). The patina has held up so far! I did it to a Kanetsune Aogami Super core/Stainless Clad blade a month or so ago and it's still nice and blue, despite cutting lots of other foods! I took over 20 pics and still couldn't get it to show correctly :( But it's Aogami Super, not White #2. I have a Kikuichi Elite Carbon which is SK4 supposedly and it has a more splotchy grey patina to it; I may clean it off and try the meat patina to see how it does.

After I wash and dry the blade, sometimes the Patina fades briefly and then seems to come back?? It may be the lighting where I wash/dry the blade though?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:08 pm 

Very nice. I may have to try the "meat trick." I have to get that carbon knife first though. Until then I'm just sitting here with the meat!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next