It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help a Canadian find a kinfe
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:31 am 

Hi all,

So, I'm a canadian, living in Canada and looking for a knife. And that means, you know.. duty, taxes, shipping and currency exchange ...
From what I know, I have to pay a 6.5% duty + taxes to import a knife ... But there should be an exemption for products made in USA
Does anybody have an official list of which products are made in the US ? I know some Richmond are but ... I'm looking at an exhaustive list to really begin shopping (And that could prove useful as a reference for other Canadians)

Does anybody knows if the taxes are waived too if it' made in the US ? That would make a huge difference..
And what value is written on the customs declaration ? Could it be lesser than the actual value ?

Anyway, knifewise, I prefer a wa handled and I like the idea and look of the carbon/SS clad, like on the Hiromoto. Sounds like a good compromise between Carbon blade and SS convenience. I'm looking for a 240mm gyuto, preferably SS

Thanks again for your help

Post subject: Re: Help a Canadian find a kinfe
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:45 am 

Well, I think your first task will be figuring out what qualifies as "Made in the USA" under NAFTA guidelines. Could be any number of nuances that might change the recommendations there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:49 am 

Pitts> there is no way around this... we canadians are going to have to suck it up and pay our customs,, taxs always seem minimal to me on my orders... often the price outlined in the shipping documentation is NOT reflective of what funds were provided for your goods.. shipping is usually about 25$ base and then goes up about 5$ per additional item unless its a heavy stone... just take the plunge and i can assure you wont be dissapointed in the service from cktg... i have probably 10 or more purchases with them and im in canada too... sure there are other retailers out there with some of the same oferings.. some in canada even, some further abroad... but the real key to success here is the level of customer service this company provides...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:45 am 

I think you meant you prefer a yo(western) handle. If you are interest in the Hiromoto now is the time to get it. These knives are no longer being made and once the stock runs out that's it forever. It is a very good knife at a practical price and is a Classic Old War Horse that will be missed once it's gone!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:08 pm 

Yeah .. I don't really know how those exemptions are applied ... Did somebody bought something like the [url-=http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riad2ae24gym.html]Richmond Addict 2 AEBL[/url] from Canada ? I'm intrigued if both taxes and duties applies ... And what value is on the package.

and I really meant "Wa", the hiromoto was just an example of a blade which seems as good as beautiful.

thanks.
-Pitts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:10 pm 

Damn, forgot to preview before making fancy links !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:28 pm 

Thanks for the clarification Pitts. Not the first time I've been off base. :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]