It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:52 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: looking for a yanagiba
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:33 am 

1. Are you right handed?
Yes

2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
Yanagi

3. What size knife are you looking for?
270mm-300mm

4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
No preference

5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
Japanese.I currently own a KIKUICHI SWEDISH WARIKOMI DAMASCUS SANTOKU 180MM and I absolutely love the type of steel, the weight of the knife, the overall performance, and of course the appearance.

6. How much did you want to spend?
Less that $400

7. Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes

I was looking at the KITAOKA DAMASCUS YANAGIBA 270MM WHITE #1. I like the look and it appears to be lightweight and thin like my Kikuichi. I was also looking at the Kikuichi Carbon Yanagi Sashimi 300mm as well. I have used the Kikuichi one(a guy at work has one) and it was nice.

Also I was wondering if 270mm or 300mm would be too big for smaller sashimi. I am usually cutting about 2" pieces and the guy at works 300mm seems like overkill to me.

Sorry for the long post. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: looking for a yanagiba
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

If this is for a professional kitchen, 300mm seems to be far more popular. For a home kitchen, 270mm is a good size.

That said, a yanagi is in no way like a santoku. It will be much thicker at the spine, and ground completely different. I think you're probably well aware of this since you said you've used one.....but thought I should say any way.

With a $400 budget, I'd pick this one up:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke13.html

The Kitaoka might well be a fantastic knife...but having never seen one I can't recommend it directly.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:42 am 
Forum Moderator

MATTY <> My first thoughts echo ADAM's, whereas yani's are not light knives; they are stiff thick spined knives, and just the same, I have not used the Kitoaka to speak about it... AARONGIBSON, has.

I will diverge from ADAM, though in that a 300 is overkill to slice sashimi. If we were talking Sujis which have a broader repertoire, I would lean towards the 300 if space permits, but a Yani... I don't agree.. not for a busy sushi bar. It's cumbersome to swing around.

As for his recommendation, I have 3 Gyutos from the Fujiyama blacksmith, and the knives are truly special. I'm sure you will be floored by the peformance, aesthetics, & ergonomics of the Fujiyama.

Another exceptional knife out there, albeit carrying a $50 premium, is the Sukenari in AS <--link steel. The knife is $50 more, but it will come with a friction fit saya included as compared to the $30 Konosuke you would have to purchase separately. All these single bevel knives are going to take ludicrously sharp edges and the additional edge retention the AS will afford you might be moot on a Yani so yapping about it would be to hear myself speak, but I can tell you the Sukenari is an exceptionally impressive performer on the boards as well as on the stones. I'm sure the Kono Fujiyama will perform at any level you need it to, as well.

Here are a couple shots for you of the Sukenari:

...here I sharpened her up to a Yaginoshima Jnat:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:17 pm 

Thank you for the feedback. I ran the options by a few coworkers and friends. I do believe I am going to shell out the extra cash and go with the Sukenari Aogami Super 300mm Yanagiba.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

MATTY <> Again, 300 is more knife than you need on the line IMO, but I'm sure you'll enjoy her, nonetheless. I only repeat this because after over two decades of service, commanding two Exec posts with sushi bars under my reigns, and eating at scores of sushi bars I have never seen a 270 Yani used on the line... or at least used comfortably.

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your new tool!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]