It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Artifex 240mm vs Tojiro DP 240mm
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 am 

Hello everyone, I'm looking to upgrade my line knife. I currently have the dimpled 10" MAC Chef Knife and am looking to size down a little bit. I was about to pull the trigger on the Tojiro 240mm after reading the numerous favorable reviews on this site. At the time I was interested in the Artifex as well but it was only available in the 210mm version. Now that the 240mm version is out, I'm interested to hear everyone's opinons. Would anyone care to weigh in on the pro's and con's of each if they have had experience with both? Thanks for your time.

Erin

Post subject: Re: Artifex 240mm vs Tojiro DP 240mm
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:17 am 

I will hopefully get a look at the artifex next week...I have a DP so Ill let you know my thoughts.

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:24 am 

I have used both in a pro environment. The tojiro has a full bolster, which I like, but the preference stops there. The Artifex has a more durable handle material, less flex, made in the US, and way way better steel. Grind quality is about equal.

The 240 is almost 10"...not much of a down size. Why not go 210?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:19 pm 

I was thinking the same thing as Burke. If you find the 10" you have long enough that it is problem going down to the 240 isn't going to help that much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:20 pm 

150mm petty= all the line knife i need. once prep time turns to service time, I usually just put my 240 back in the knife drawer.

that being said, I have no personal experience with either knife. from what i have been reading, it seems to be kind of hard to beat the artifex in that price range.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:30 pm 

I would go with Richmond Artifex 210mm gyuto.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:56 pm 
Forum Moderator

Artifex all the way! I prefer the 240 but that is personal preference either one is a upgrade! Peace jmbullman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:15 pm 

The 210 Artifex is fairly small as far as knives go I go definitely see it working on a line. Now that I have gotten used to my 270 Konosuke my 210 Artifex feels down right tiny.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]