It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Konosuke HD2 versus HH
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:21 pm 

I have decided to try one of the Konosuke chef knives. I am looking at both the HD2 and the HH versions. The HD2 seems to garner the most praise, so is the HH also worth consideration? From what I can see the only difference seems to be the steel. I think this is a case of 'pick one you cannot go wrong', but would like to hear some input on the differences between the two knives. I would be looking at the 24 cm version

Post subject: Re: Konosuke HD2 versus HH
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:55 pm 

I don't own either but from what I remember both knives are the same profile and grind, the HD2 has slightly better edge retention but the difference is supposed to be quite small. The HH is fully stainless and it has a nicer handle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:09 pm 

I only own HDs. The knives are supposed to be very similar in design, and all impressions that I have read by people who actually own the HH series (and not those who merely rehash specs) suggest it is a very, very good Swedish stainless.

There is a reason the HD is called semi-stainless: it is not stainless!! I love the steal and it is very low maintenance for me given how I work in the kitchen. However, I've had friends stain at least one of them (while cooking together), and my girlfriend has unwittingly stained another one (even while being very careful with it). Furthermore, the steel changes color/patinas naturally. I don't mind any of this at all. But if you do, and/or if you want a true stainless, go with the HH. However, if you're like most of the people on this forum and you take care of your knives and also aren't so upset by uniform discoloration (i.e., turning darker shades of gray, but not otherwise "colored"), then get the HD! It is great and my impression is that people who use both either don't notice a difference or prefer the HD.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:13 pm 

I have a 240 HH Funayuki/Gyuto. I often wish I'd have gone HD or White rather than HH. In my experience with White/Blue/AS carbon and various stainless steels I have to say I like the HH steel the least. It does take a very sharp edge rather quickly, but I have to really watch my burr removal when sharpening. It tends to hold onto a small, almost invisible burr/wire without very careful finishing strokes and a gentle strop. Unfortunately I've also had to sharpen the knife more than usual because I also find the edge retention and durability to be pretty weak (especially at refinement over 2-3k). I have tried just about every adjustment in sharpening technique I can think of (various angles, micro-bevels, etc.), but I've concluded that I just don't like the steel.

There are other people out there who will quickly disagree with me, but across the spectrum of knives I own this is the one I wouldn't buy again. I always have the HD version on my back-burner though since I do like the profile/weight/balance/f&f, etc., of the Kono Lasers....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:29 pm 

IMHO, and there are many wiser people than I that would disagree, but Swedish steels are better than say German fare, but a lot of the Japanese steels are better. A lot of that may be a function of heat treatment, the only Swedish steel knives I have used were lower in price.

Upshot, the HD is an improvement on the swedish steels I have used but I have not used Kono's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 pm 

The HD sharpens easier, takes and holds a better edge. Would buy it all day long over the HH, not that the HH isn't a good knife, the HD is just a better steel. If your looking for a totally stainless the HH is a great knife though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:23 am 

I have two Konosuke HH knives, a nakiri and a sujihiki, and no HD knives. This is largely the result of price as both were discounted at my time of purchase. I think the HH steel is among the best stainless in the world; it's easy to sharpen, takes a nice edge, and holds it acceptably well. When I sent the nakiri out for a passaround a few participants were favorably surprised by what a stainless steel could be.

I don't mean to say the HH beats or even matches the HD steel, as I frankly doubt that, but rather that it is worth considering... particularly if it's at a discount!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:34 am 

If it's a Konosuke it rocks.......period.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:31 am 

Can't wait to try one. Would it be a waste getting a petty or should I just get another Gyuto?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]