It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knife Set for Culinary Student
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:11 pm 

Hello all,

I'm in need of some expert advice. I am currently a Prep Cook and enrolled for culinary school in the fall. I have a MAC(MBK-85) and a MAC(PKF-50) for work, which I love. I do not want to take them to school for fear of them being stolen. I'm looking for a complete set for school that can use the same steel and sharpening stones as the MAC's, but haven't purchased the stones or steel yet, so your suggestions will be great. I am a righty, have never sharpened and can spend up to $500.00 for the equipment. After reading the reviews, I am really interested in the Richmond Artifex, but am open to suggestions. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Knife Set for Culinary Student
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:41 pm 

My suggestion would be the Victorinox series. They're cheap and they stand up to a ton of abuse. They are really quality blades for what you pay for them. And since they are inexpensive, you won't balk when your instructor tells you to do things such as make garlic paste (the salt scratches the bajeezus out of your blade).

Really the only downside to these knives is the steel doesn't have a real high edge retention, but that's nothing a few swipes on your rod rod won't fix.

Which brings me to your next purchase, the rod: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sharpeningrod.html

Cheap and works great.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:10 pm 

I would either follow Mals opinion and go with the Victorinox knives. This is what I did during school. Or wait till a few more knives come out in the Artifex series and go that way. I liked using my Victorinox knives during training but the edge retention was lacking when I was doing 10-20# of mushrooms along with 10# of carrots and 15# of butternut in a shift.

I would have liked to have the artifex for the superior steel. At the time I wasn't as knowledgeable about knives and didn't have the money to do so. In addition although the Artifex knives are a great deal you can almost get a set of the Forschner's for the same price as the 240 Gyuto, which is the base knife I would recommend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:58 pm 

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with the Artifex 240 as the workhorse and build a Victorinox set around it. What kind of stones should I buy to sharpen them and the MAC's?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 am 

The Chosera 800 is a very versatile one: vary pressure, mud, water and you may use it as a one and only with your Victorinox, or as a first stone with the others. Add the Chosera 2k for stropping the Mac, or for further refinement of the Artifex edge. Higher grits may come later on. You may want to add a leather strop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:52 am 

Favorite stone I've layed a knife on so far is the Gesshin 2000. Cuts fast, leaves a great edge, great feedback, and price is good. That said many love the Shapton glass stones and that will be my next set I try out.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]