It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addict 2 vs kikuikchi tkc - larger upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:55 pm 

Hi All,

Lurking for a while but nothing to post/share till now. The bug hit. I am treating myself to being a good student and upgrading. I have a kit2 edge pro and use it and always trying to improve. I have a tojiro dp 210 gyuto and want a 240. I figured I might as well really treat myself. I love the thinness of the knife and it is fun to sharpen. I did have to work on the handle and round the choil a lot though. What I don't like or wish I had more of was height.

The two knives I am considering are the kikuichi Tkc and Addict 2. Any thought/opinions? Should I consider others? It will be an all purpose home knife. I am not a line chef just a graduate student. I don't want carbon even though I sort of baby my knives. Just a good solid all-rounder.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Addict 2 vs kikuikchi tkc - larger upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:23 am 
Forum Moderator

The Addict 2 is CPM-154 stainless steel. It will be a bit harder to sharpen, but should hold it's edge longer. It's a very tall blade, too, so it will give you more height. The Kikuichi TKC is a semi stainless; it can still discolor, but not as much as other carbon blades. Not sure about the height of it. I think both would be god choices!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:09 pm 

To add to the mix since it is also in the length and price and steel wishes.

Konosuke HH Stainless Wa-Gyuto 240mm NEW! http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ko24wa.html

My cutting style is a hybrid guillotine/slice for everything with rocking for mincing if that helps with blade profile. I would like it to be enough of a step up from the tojiro in quality and have different cutting geometry. Not looking to get the same knife in more expensive version if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

The Konosuke HH is a good knife and in that price range they're hard to beat.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]