It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Takeda AS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:48 pm 

Hey all,

As an engagement present, my fiance has told me that i can pick out any "reasonably" priced knife, since my konosuke is approaching 2 years old. I know that Takeda has some one of a colt following and have always wanted to drink the proverbial kool-aid.

I have worked with a couple cooks who have purchased these Takeda AS knives and both have had issues with the metal actually bending. There is also a review on the 240mm gyuto confirming that.

Does anybody know if this is a problem with these knives? Or are these just intances of bad luck?

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject: Re: Takeda AS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:57 pm 

They are very thin (at least the SS clad petty I have is, and I assume the classic as well). I'm pretty sure I could bend it pretty easily if I mishandled it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

DAN <> Metal "bending" is pretty vague. I'd say it sounds more akin to abuse than to bad luck. A bad heat treat will produce metal in which bends extremely easily, but the odds on that being the culprit with a Takeda are stacked VERY high against you. San Mai & Warikomi knives are percentage wise, mostly Jigane (aka, soft steel cladding). Obviously, soft steel bends more easily than the hard steel does, but since there is more soft steel overall, any sanmai/warikomi blade will bend more so than a monosteel blade would.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:32 pm 

the metal "bending" resulted in the knife looking more like a banana than a knife. The analogy is a bit exaggerated for effect. And I appreciate your feed back but i am still nervous about this knife. Maybe there are other AS core knives on the site that i should be looking at if i am so uncertain :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:44 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have & have used quite a few Aogami Super SanMai/Warikomis, but to give you a suggestion for a knife w/o knowing anything except that you wanted to buy a Takeda would be quite immature of me. Honestly, if you like knives that are that absurdly tall (over 60mm), I would have to make suggestions commensurate with your taste, and there are really no knives that I know of that tall at that length. He calls them gyutos, but they're santokus... and tall ones, at that. If you just asked me off the cuff what SanMai AS gyuto I would most commonly recommend, you would receive a resounding suggestion for the Kanehiro AS <--link.

Pictured here is my 210, but just for illustrative purposes:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Classic Sasanoha 240 I hand my hands on a couple of months ago was very thin and surprisingly flexible.

The Moritaka AS knives are a somewhat more substantial, stiffer alternative to the Takeda's, depending on the knife style, of course. Their grinds are not up to the level of beautifully done convex zero grinds of the Takeda blades, and the handles are not as nice, but they're very good performers in their own right, and less expensive to boot.

Kanehiro also makes some great AS knives, albeit stainless clad with a different refined rustic look from the traditional KU finish.

The Masakage Koishi series are also great AS core, stainless clad knives, but with a KU style finish. They are bad ass :-).

As Melampus stated, more information would be helpful toward recommending something to fit your particular situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Rather than edit my prior post even more...

Dan, what attracts you to the Takeda (I assume Gyutos?) other than the cult following and mystic?

Also, what Konosuke do you own and what about it really resonates with you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:45 pm 

SteveG wrote:. Their grinds are not up to the level of beautifully done convex zero grinds of the Takeda blades

Takeda knives are convex? I was under the impression that they use the hand held waterstone which leaves the bevels flat ground.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mowgs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mowgs, at least on the ones I've seen, I'm talking about the primary bevel off the KU blade face that is ground into a zero grind right to the edge. I'll review my videos, but as I recall they were nicely convexed into the edge of the edge on both sides. Really just a beautiful job on the bevels - at least to me.

The Moritaka primary bevels are much less refined.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:58 am 

SteveG,

The aspect of the Tekada AS's that appealed to me was primarily the AS core and secondarily the simple popularity of them. They are absolutely beautiful and from what i have read the performance matches the appearance.

I cant say enough about Konosuke to prove how much I enjoyed using the HD2 Gyuto (enough to put the Konosuke Fujiyama Blue#2 into consideration for purchase). The fit and finishes are perfect. The rounded spine was a great touch. The weight and balance were perfect with a comfortable handle. The knife felt like an extension of my own hand rather than a tool i used to cut vegetables and occasionally meats. And if that wasn't enough, it has great edge retention and is super easy to sharpen.

The HD2 is actually my favorite knife that i have ever used. But with so many other knifes out there i think i would be missing out if i were not to try a new knife each time i was in the market for such. Even if it comes from the same knife maker.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next