It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kato Knives
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:52 am 

Anyone have experience with these guys? I was perusing JNS (I know, a bit of a faux pas to mention another retailer) selection of knives and was intrigued by their custom "Workhorse" knife commissioned through Kato. By any standards, these are beefy knives. That said, I'm a firm believer that a quality beast is a must have. My current skull-splitters are a Henckels International and a Global Sai (the Global is actually heavier per inch than the Henckels). Would be quite something to have a knife that I'm not afraid to put through halibut or joints in a rack of lamb yet can dice a tomato without losing the gel.

Post subject: Re: Kato Knives
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Chip, what comes to mind is that part of good knife design is prioritizing and balancing a set of divergent characteristics. Some sort of compromise is almost always the result, by necessity.

Gary Loomis (G.Loomis fishing rods) has stated, and I'm paraphrasing, "I could build a rod that wouldn't break, but you wouldn't want to fish with it".

Personally, I'd much rather use different tools for such divergent tasks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:51 am 

Probably right, though never hurts to ask. The retailer in question stocks a limited, but pretty impressive, array of knives so piqued my curiosity. Unless you or another forum participant with a hell of a lot of experience with blades had something revelatory to say about the maker, I won't be rushing to drop half a grand on what appears to be a hand forged Wusthof.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:54 am 

Frankly, German steel excels at completing hardy tasks and not chipping. If you really want the most excellent knife to that purpose, buy one of the Messermeister knives that Mark has on sale. The very elements that allow Japanese knives to obtain that fantastic edge prevent them from being used for such tasks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:26 pm 

I can offer some insight having owned two of these for a bit now. They are pretty fat at the spine, yes, but they are not for going through bone. They are very thin behind the edge. They do not take kindly to hard work. They are fantastic general prep knives, and the reason you buy them is if you want a knife with more weight behind the blade vs these thin and light knives. It is not really a workhorse, IMO. In my experience, they are also more reactive than people say they are, but less reactive than a lot of things.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]