It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deba reco
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:41 pm 

So, since I plan on unloading my Global Sai 7.5 incher which was my heavy duty knife, I find myself in the market for a deba. Looking to spend around $200. Ideally, I would like one that can be used on chicken and possibly pork ribs and rack of lamb (not massive beef ribs that need serious clever action). Given that, I probably don't want anything that is heat treated to the upper end of a steels limit. Thinking a clad white #2 or maybe Ginsan steel. The Saji Ginsan looks promising. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Deba reco
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

Chip, it sounds like you're talking about chopping through bone? If so, a traditional single bevel Deba is not intended for that job at all. They're for processing fish and have a more delicate single bevel edge. A Western Deba is a different beast and is more like a Chef-de-Chef or heavy duty Chef knife. The Tojiro DP 210 and 240 Western Debas are popular, but I don't think you'd want to chop through pork ribs with one.

The CCK Bone Chopper might be your best bet: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/cckbonechopper.html. Or just keep your Sai and use it for those tasks, if it's doing the job you need.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:17 pm 

Wasn't looking for something that goes through bone per-se. More along the lines of a knife that can handle the joints of pork rib, chicken and lamb along with fish steaks with some spine like like halibut without worrying about a chip. Sometimes I won't hit the joint on a chicken perfectly on the first pass (albeit I'm not using very much force) and don't want to have to worry about the blade nicking from a light contact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:21 pm 

All that said though, you may be right. A heavy chef's or western deba may be the answer. Who knows, maybe I should just hang on to the Sai as it has pretty good weight for a 7.25 inch blade (8.5 oz) and isn't crazy hard (59 HRC)...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

OK, then I'd recommend a Western Deba, you can chip the fine edge of a single bevel Deba from bone contact. Just my opinion. We have forum members here who use Deba's all the time. I'm sure they'll kick in some feedback for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:26 pm 

Great, good to know! I was a little confused on the deba front as I see some that promote the use for chicken etc. In the end, I may actually already have a pretty solid knife for the task in the Global Sai...

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]