It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kono question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:15 pm 

Hey guys, I know a lot of very knowledgeable members here love Konosuke knives. I was wondering if anyone could provide a bit of color on the edge profile for the funayuki vs. standard gyutos. My preference is for a large flat section and light curvature. I'm assuming the funayuki profiles are flatter, but was curious just how much belly the regular profile has.

Post subject: Re: Kono question
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

Funayuki is a flatter profile. The Gyuto's from Kono vary a little....but all are gyuto's which are flatter than any Western pattern chef's knife.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:55 pm 

Cool, thanks Adam. Still looking forward to getting my hands on a TKC in 240!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:22 pm 

I got the standard 240mm gyuto and has a moderate belly in the last 1/4 of the blade. It is a little more pronounced belly than my Kohetsu or Anryu, but the tip is pointier because of the profile of the spine.

Overall I am glad I did not go with the funayuki, I am not sure I would have appreciated it as much as I do this profile, but that is a personal thing...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:33 pm 

That is the great thing about the profile of the Konosuke, it is very versatile. Enough of a flat spot to chop and push cut but just enough belly to rock if you need to. I'm not a fan of the funayuki, just don't like the look but haven't used it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:34 pm 

My Kono Funayuki/Gyuto actually had a gentle sweep through the entire blade and didn't make very solid board contact at any one spot. This was a HUGE bummer for me since the flatter profile was the reason I ordered the knife... Ultimately rather than return the knife I decided to go ahead and sharpen out a fair amount of the sweep toward the back end to bring the profile closer to what I was expecting. My guess is that the knives can vary greatly depending on who works on them. It wasn't a huge deal, but it was more work than I wanted to put into an expensive blade. On the other hand I did learn quite a bit about fine tuning the profile to fit my preferences and taking out some belly also forced me to get better at thinning out the area behind the new edge to restore the geometry.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:37 pm 

PS I find the this profile to (on my example) to actually be very good for shallow rocking and with my adjustments it is now quite good for push cutting and chopping. When the knife first arrived I would say it wasn't great for any of the above...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

This video might help. I compare both profiles. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd240gy ... 6Mu_X-9KK0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:53 pm 

Awesome, thanks for the great responses you guys. And the learning process goes on...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 pm 

Interesting, next to the Suisin, it does indeed look like the funayuki doesn't have the same large flat surface at the latter 1/3 of the knife... Steve, just some food for thought, it might be worth specifying that on the description pages as I bet a number of people, like btm, would buy that profile assuming a larger flat portion to the edge (I certainly would have made that assumption as well).

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next